FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCS 7 upgrade in the middle of projects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Schott
FCS 7 upgrade in the middle of projects
on Nov 24, 2009 at 10:12:09 pm

I know that ideally it would be good to not upgrade in the middle of a project, but I've got a yearly contract with TV episodes. There isn't a time I'm not working on a project. I'm upgrading from FCP 6.5 or whatever the last update was. Is there any glitches or concerns I should have? Anything that I can do to avoid head-aches?

"When you've got family, everything else is extra"

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: FCS 7 upgrade in the middle of projects
on Nov 24, 2009 at 10:20:51 pm

Just the usual do a Clean Install of the OS and Studio. This is the first time we did an upgrade in the middle of a project. Feature documentary with about 200 hours of material. Did the upgrade mid stream after hearing that FCP 7 was the first version that was safe to upgrade mid-stream.

All three of our systems have been upgraded and on all three we did the clean install. Zero issues related to FCP or the Kona boards.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 24, 2009 at 10:40:04 pm

Be sure to clone your current drive before upgrading. Better still, install a fresh drive and do the new install to that. I've just finished doing just that with no issues.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Raymond Tuquero
on Nov 25, 2009 at 5:43:13 pm

MAKE SURE YOUR ARE UP TO DATE ON FCP 7 AS WELL ... I believe the new update puts you in 7.0.1.

I Have ran into 2 issues ... but 7.0.1 fixed them.

1 - Stopped saving my project (great ... had to look online to save it somewhere else)
2 - Captured footage but deleted the Reel and TC info ... what fun.

Good Luck.

Other than that FCP 7 has some nice little upgrade features ... like Speed changing a clip.

-Raymond Tuquero-
Houston Based Freelancer
http://www.rtuqvidere.com

Return to posts index

Stace Carter
on Nov 29, 2009 at 3:26:21 pm

I'd normally never do such a thing, but had to last month (to Snow Leopard and FCS3) and had no problems. Of course, did all of the usual backups etc. It was scary but smooth sailing.

Cheers,
Stace

Apple Certified Trainer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]