FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Log and Transfer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Candice Young
FCP 7 Log and Transfer
on Nov 24, 2009 at 9:19:55 pm

Ok this is my first post on here so I hope I'm making sense. I seem to have two issues with FCP 7 and I cant seem to figure it out. I'm using a Panasonic HPX 300 and when I log and transfer from my SD card it broke a 1hr 1/2 project into 5 min clips. Ive read before that if you manually break footage into smaller clips it helps the program run better but does the new FCP just do this automatically and is there a way to turn this feature off? Also with this same footage, when I load the clip into the viewer the audio is fine, but then when I drop the clips into the timeline, the audio on each 5 min segment changes. Some clips the audio is really low and then it boosts up again when it plays the next clip. This is all the same project and the audio was not messed with during filming so I'm just confused. If anyone can help that would be awesome.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP 7 Log and Transfer
on Nov 24, 2009 at 10:23:02 pm

Shooting AVCIntra, or DVCPRO HD? And by SD card, you mean P2...very different.

Now, your 1.5 hour project...was that one continuous shot? No camera starts and stops? Because with tapeless formats, every time you start and stop the camera, that becomes a new file. You can't import that as one solid clip.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ray Chung
on Nov 25, 2009 at 12:26:32 am

Live footage?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 25, 2009 at 12:27:53 am

What do you mean LIVE footage? One long continuous shot on the P2 cards? spanning several cards? Or are you talking recording LIVE into the computer from the camera, because Log and Transfer doesn't deal with that second thing...

Shane

Return to posts index

Candice Young
on Nov 25, 2009 at 12:57:17 am

I wasn't at the shoot so I'm not 100% sure if the camera was stopped but the photog assured me he did not turn off the camera at any point and all the clips are exactly 5 min long (I can edit them together with no breaks in between) so I don't think that he could have been that precise turning on/off.

Return to posts index

Ray Chung
on Nov 25, 2009 at 1:09:12 am

Let's say you're shooting a live event and just letting the camera run....can you fit 90 min onto a card? I guess a 128GB card or so?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 25, 2009 at 2:32:41 am

SHooting what format? To what size of card? Those are huge factors into determining this.

Even then, the card will make a bunch of mini-segments that will be stitched together...the cards are partitioned into 4GB segments.

Shane

Return to posts index

Ray Chung
on Nov 25, 2009 at 2:59:00 am

I don't know, I don't have it in front of me....just trying to figure out how one were to shoot a straight 1-1/2 hours to a card, as you brought up in your query in regards to it. I'd assume that if she were shooting with a Panasonic HPX 300, it'd be a P2 card, of which a 128GB has a roughly 2-hr capacity at 1080i/720p. And even though it'll break the data into 'sections' on the card itself, is it still labeled as that one big shot when you access it in FCP in log & transfer? If so, and you try to l&t the whole big clip, I could see how it might automatically break it up, kinda' like it does when loading a whole HDV tape as ProRes or what have you. I'm interested in finding out about this as well, because I've only worked with separate takes/shots on P2, but I do work with people who shoot live events and keep a camera-2 rolling the whole time and what not...so this could come up at some time down the road. Although, if the clip is automatically broken up, it's not exactly difficult to just put one after the other....or pick in's and out's with l&t, for that matter. ;-)

I guess we'll have to wait to hear more info from Candice to find out.

Return to posts index

Candice Young
on Nov 25, 2009 at 3:33:56 am

From what I understand the camera was never turned off, I talked with the photog and he assured me that it was filming straight through the entire time. Also the clips are exactly 5 min long so I don't think he could be that precise turning it on/off. I just cant tell if it would happen again with a similar piece or if that is what is causing my audio issues.

Return to posts index

Candice Young
on Nov 25, 2009 at 1:08:24 am

The footage was just a seminar on one camera and its all on one card and when I stared log and transfer it had already had the clips broken up even though there were no breaks that's why I was wondering is this is a new setting and any large project I do will break it up or if I maybe have a setting selected that shouldn't be or what

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]