ADMIN: Notice of impending policy change regarding posting in this forum

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcow
Ron Lindeboom
ADMIN: Notice of impending policy change regarding posting in this forum
on Nov 24, 2009 at 8:00:23 pm

Hello All,

Over the years, we have tried to curtail the number of newbie posts on the main Final Cut forum and have started forums for Basics questions, had leaders assist us in moving posts to the Basics forum, etc., etc., and none of these things have worked -- as we have so many jobs already, and our leaders are very busy and do not need another job, and the majority of newbies do NOT want to use the Basics forum voluntarily.

So, that brings us to the necessity for a means of involving the community itself in the policing and compartmentalizing of posts that belong here -- or belong in the Basics forum.

We have been looking at what works and what doesn't. We think we have come up with a solution that should work and we need your feedback...

In the ratings box where you now can rate posts, we are going to add a function in this forum that allows the users of this forum themselves to rate what should be here and what should move to the Basics forum.

It will look like this...

If a leader here selects the button to move it, it will move immediately. If a member rates it thus, it will require a number of users to concur that it should be moved and it will. (We haven't yet determined the appropriate weighting that will work, it will likely be determined as we work through this.)

This way, you can help moderate the forum yourself and assist the leaders here in making this forum more useful to yourself and others.

Feedback?

Thanks for reading,

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: ADMIN: Notice of impending policy change regarding posting in this forum
on Nov 24, 2009 at 8:06:25 pm

I think it's definitely worth a shot.

I would suggest 7 to 10 as the number of non-forum hosts who would be needed to move the post to the Basics forum.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Nov 24, 2009 at 8:24:45 pm

Yes, lets try this!
Probably 3-5 'moves' would be plenty, it's not like they are getting flagged for deletion. These posts shouldn't sit there waiting forever to move to the proper forum. The quicker they get moved, the quicker they may get an answer to their question. Lets not make them wait.
Also in an effort to make this work, lets all try and patrol the Basic Forum more often. One of the new guys in the 'bloated' thread said the other forums lacked activity, and posts go unanswered, which is why he gave up on the Basic Forum.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 24, 2009 at 8:30:00 pm

Great use of the technology at hand...

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Nov 24, 2009 at 9:52:04 pm

excellent idea Ron.

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
on Nov 25, 2009 at 1:11:44 am

It is a good idea, my only question is, and maybe I missed it, what constitutes a "basics" post and what makes a post belong on "Pro?"

Thanks.

Steven Gladstone
http://www.gladstonefilms.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Nov 25, 2009 at 1:31:17 am

A basics question is one which the leaders or readers determine is a basics question. If you've a doubt, post it in the basics forum. They'll help someone with a tough question too.

It's interesting. This experiment is likely is a first in any forum I've ever seen.

Jerry

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Nov 25, 2009 at 1:34:27 am

"...is a good idea, my only question is, and maybe I missed it, what constitutes a "basics"..."

One thing that comes to mind is anything that can be found in the manual. Also things like where is 'this' or 'that' function, filter, etc.

Second thing that makes it basic, is simply the common opinion of several (TBD) forum users, or one administrator, based on their experience. I don't think a black and white definition is really needed, since we are only talking about moving a post, not deleting it.

just my 2 cents.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 25, 2009 at 2:25:08 am

I think 4 or 5 "basic" votes should be enough to send it to the basic forum. I also agree that we should try and spend some more time in the basic forum so that questions there get answered in a timely fashion.

-Andrew

3.2GHz 8-core, FCP 6.0.4, 10.5.5
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (6.8.1)

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 25, 2009 at 3:08:07 am

I think is a great idea.
Is not a matter of going hunting for "basic questions" or analyzing every post to see to which forum belong, but to move "that" kind of posts that everybody have in mind ("White canvas", "FC Serial number" "FC long & Transfer",..),. Also we have to push the people to use the SEARCH function and to read the manuals. As everything in life, is a matter of educating the people.
However I think it should be a way for moving posts from the basic to the Pro forum.
And definitively is to us to support more the Basic forum. People complains the "the big fishes" doesn't show up there.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Nov 25, 2009 at 3:23:44 am

Great idea. I'd suggest a lower number of "votes", like 3-5.

For this to be effective, the users must feel that they have a hand in making it work. If I'm one of three, I'll take the time to "vote". One of many... not interested.

Glad to see that you're taking action. That's what makes this forum stay as vibrant and relevent as it is.

Mark

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:33:42 am

I feel better already.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:51:29 am

groovy ... its like being in our own little reality TV experiment ... can we vote off basic answers too ;-)

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Nov 27, 2009 at 3:42:15 pm

Power to the correct people.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Nov 25, 2009 at 9:27:19 am

Good idea, as a noob myself, I can never tell whether the questions I'm asking are really basic or not.

aka Newbie Wan Kenewbie. "I will get over my manualaphobia, one day at a time."

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

ben scott
on Nov 25, 2009 at 11:16:36 am

Ron your a star

best news in a while

was starting to wonder when the forum would be free from questions like what interlaced and progressive

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on Nov 25, 2009 at 12:27:42 pm

Great idea Ron, and I think that given time it will help 'direct' people to Basics too. I think around 7 'strikes' would be good initially, if not reached then you can always reduce...

Jason

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

*the artist formally known as Jaymags*

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 25, 2009 at 1:22:07 pm

I do have a few more suggestions.

Check box to move a post to the AJA Kona forum.

Check box to move a post to the Blackmagic forum.

Or the addition of a Final Cut Pro Hardware forum with a Check box to move a post into that forum.

AJA vs. BlackMagic. Blackmagic vs. Matrox. Matrox. vs AJA. What Computer Should I buy? What hard drive should I buy? What Monitor should I buy? etc.....

You know that exact same question we answer maybe 20 times or more per month? We could move all of those into a hardware based forum. Just a thought.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 25, 2009 at 9:37:04 pm

How about taking it to a different level. Allow people (and the poster) to categorize via a pull down menu. And instead of having a bunch of different FCP forums about basics, hardware, etc we just have the same big ol FCP forum with filterable views.

For example, I would like to see advanced topics and matrox related hardware topics. But not basic topics, Aja topics, or blackmagic topics.

For that matter, it might be neat to create a custom user forum that combines the forums a user frequents. For example I wouldn't mind seeing the web, dreamweaver, after effects, and matrox forums in a combined view.

Not sure how that gels with advertising, etc but it'd be a neat feature I've never seen before.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Nov 25, 2009 at 9:47:29 pm

[Bret Williams] "How about taking it to a different level. Allow people (and the poster) to categorize via a pull down menu. And instead of having a bunch of different FCP forums about basics, hardware, etc we just have the same big ol FCP forum with filterable views."

Now you are reading our minds, Bret. This is exactly what we have been working on and we plan to introduce the prototype of what the new interface can do, in Q1 2010. (It is one of the reasons why we have been so dead-set against breaking out the forums into the kind of "a forum for this, and a forum for that" idea, such as you see at Adobe.com, etc.) One of the reasons why the COW has been so successful is because it's simple. But we plan to enhance/augment the simplicity with AI features and things that help expand the functionality and usefulness while being very simple to use -- not to mention, helping newer users easily and quickly find answers to their "it's already been asked 12 times today" questions.

I have been working with the team on this -- which also incorporates many other über-cool things, as well -- off and on for the last few months. With the recent threads, I have moved the project higher up the priority pile.

This recent announcement is just a stop-gap move to stop the bitching in the meantime. Our goals are much bigger and the interface design we are working on is far more than a mere bandage fix.

Best,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 26, 2009 at 2:57:08 am

I have one suggestion (if it's not a feature already). It would be cool to subscribe to a thread (that is email notification) without having to post in it.

The filter idea makes udder (sic) sense.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Dec 10, 2009 at 2:18:54 am

Love Walter's idea of having a FCP hardware forum...I'd use it 2 times a week trying to figure out how to get my MXO2 to work correctly! :)

j/k

-Jason

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 25, 2009 at 3:25:45 pm

Cool Ron.

thank you for this.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Raymond Tuquero
on Nov 25, 2009 at 5:23:48 pm

I haven't read what others have said ... but I think this is great idea. It will help with the clutter of the forum.

IS there a way you guys can make a link to BASIC FCP or BASIC Questions in the normal FCP as oppose to going back to the Forums Index and clicking FCP Basic?
So many new people are in such a panic of issues that when they come on the first thing they see is just the words Final Cut Pro ... without even thinking to read and find the right forum to jump into.
Also make the link RED so that it stands out to everyone who comes in?

My status puts me down as a newb because my last email client lost my email info ... long story ... Made a new log-in ... so I have actually been on the Cow for some years now ... anyways.

I think this is a great idea again and hopefully it will help all of us from Newbs to Hobbyists to Avg Users to those of us who use it in professional environments.

-Raymond Tuquero-
Houston Based Freelancer
http://www.rtuqvidere.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 26, 2009 at 2:46:46 am

[Raymond Tuquero] "IS there a way you guys can make a link to BASIC FCP or BASIC Questions in the normal FCP as oppose to going back to the Forums Index and clicking FCP Basic? "
You see Raymond, one of the problems is that we don't know well the interface.
That link already exist: Right on top of Russell and Shane's picture.
rafael

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Nov 26, 2009 at 12:25:30 pm

Great start!

I do think however, that if you want to reduce the number of misplaced posts in half you just need to put a large note at the top of the forum informing people about the basics forum. I just don't think enough people notice the 'basic' tab at the top enough, and post here as often out of ignorance as laziness.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Nov 26, 2009 at 6:24:25 pm

[Ben Holmes] "...if you want to reduce the number of misplaced posts in half you just need to put a large note at the top of the forum informing people about the basics forum."

Wanna bet? The majority of people will come right out and tell you that they know it's there but don't want to use it because the "heavies" are in the main forum and they want the "real" answer.

They haven't taken the time (and won't even when you tell them) to figure out that the people in the Basics forum are heavies also, but that they are patient people that can endure the same questions over and over -- without wanting to choke the life from the person asking.

But you are entitled to your opinion, Ben.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 26, 2009 at 6:46:21 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "The majority of people will come right out and tell you that they know it's there but don't want to use it because the "heavies" are in the main forum and they want the "real" answer. "

And, for the record, the Cow member who actually made the statement about the "heavies" has only been a member since early October, with two threads to his name total, and the highest level of technology he posted about was what headphones to use with FCP. He's hardly an expert on the goings-on at the Cow.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Nov 30, 2009 at 2:42:44 pm

Can we also have a similar thing on the 'Basics forum' which allows a not-so-basic question to be moved to the FCP forum?

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
on Nov 30, 2009 at 3:27:12 pm

I agree...I spend most of my help time in the Basics section, and while I'm nowhere near being an expert, there's a lot of posts that come in that I have no clue about.

Return to posts index

Nigel Beaumont
on Nov 26, 2009 at 11:55:50 pm

Excellent idea - if you post too basic a question for this forum, you're not gonna mind it getting moved if the help still comes.
(if your ego IS too big to cope with that, probably you should be infront of the camera rather than in post-production....)

Nigel Beaumont

MBP 2.53 FCS 2 FCP 6.0.6 Aja IO black cables, shiny firewire drives

"Ofcourse it'll be finished in time for tx"

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 28, 2009 at 9:54:03 am

It seems that some people, when usen the SEARCH function I guess, they posts in threads some times even few years old. People that is not subscribed can not see these posts because don't show up in the front page. Some time we come across with interesting questions and ansewers.
This is not an important issue, but while in the subject of improving the Forum, perhaps we could find a way to bring back some selected threads.
Cheers,
rafael

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 28, 2009 at 1:01:06 pm

If you have the forums set up to shot the "latest posts" at the top, no matter how old the topic is, it will come right to the top of the forum.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 28, 2009 at 3:32:58 pm

[walter biscardi] "If you have the forums set up to shot the "latest posts" at the top, no matter how old the topic is, it will come right to the top of the forum. "
You see Walter, I had never tried that option.
I may try that, butIi think that displayed "By threads is the way I control more what's going on.
rafael

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 28, 2009 at 3:35:36 pm

[Rafael Amador] "I may try that, butIi think that displayed "By threads is the way I control more what's going on.
rafael"

Well maybe a consideration to have entire threads move to the top each time something is added. So the most recent posts are always at the top of the forum along with the entire thread.

Of course nothing is going to be perfect no matter what the admin comes up with.....

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Nov 28, 2009 at 3:00:24 pm

I agree 100% Ron, there are far too many basic questions coming in here, most of which could be answered in the manual or the help section. But these forums may not exist if we all were not so lazy to read manuals, and I think the idea and mechanism you are installing is brilliant. Great idea.

Return to posts index

Jakob Mortensen
on Nov 29, 2009 at 1:00:20 pm

Hey

I am a new user and ceartainly new to FCP. Offcourse its always great to get the right categorization of questions. Structure helps everyone in a forum like this.

BUT I hope this is not a move meant to filter new/unexperienced users away from this forum.

I use a wealth of forums on the web, in some I am the newbie, in others I can help less experienced. One thing I see often happening is that when user reach a ceartain level of experience they start to nag about the newbies. Often there is a tendency to forget that we all started out fresh and green at one point, and back then we where gratefull for all the help we could get.

Best wishes

Jakob

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 29, 2009 at 1:55:14 pm

[Jakob Mortensen] "BUT I hope this is not a move meant to filter new/unexperienced users away from this forum. "

Not at all Jakob, the forums remain a free resource that any user of any level can browse through and learn from ... the concept of providing a mechanism to better categorize posts is simply a means to foster a more considerate use of the forums as already provided, and if anything it's designed to retain the active participation (and hence the knowledge base) of the more experienced users who might get bored with basic stuff and wander elsewhere. I think'll you'd agree that thats a good thing :-) And it offers the added benefit of reminding such crusty pro's that the "Basics" forum is alive and well and just a mouse click away, and might encourage them to drop in and see if there is anything over there that they could help out on.

[Jakob Mortensen] "Often there is a tendency to forget that we all started out fresh and green at one point"

Of course, and I don't think anyone really forgets that ... but I know that if I joined an intermediate/advanced woodworking class and asked how a dovetail joint worked then whilst I might be tolerated well enough (a nicer bunch of carpenters you couldn't wish to meet) and get the answer I needed (although probably in far more detail than I needed), I'd also very probably have been better off if someone had just politely pointed me to the beginners woodworking class next door where I wouldn't have felt so silly :-)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 29, 2009 at 8:23:07 pm

It all sounds very good, as long as the email link follows the question after it has been moved, so answers still get back to the person that needs them as soon as someone posts them.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Nov 30, 2009 at 4:17:51 am

Nicely done and very fair.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

C David Miller
on Nov 30, 2009 at 8:28:54 pm

I totally agree with the concept and it needs to be done. The thing that bothers me is the so called experts attitudes, they have in postings, they may answer. By doing this needed move, these experts will be more impowered in thinking how much better they are.

As I read this post, the comments about heavies and reality expermental are just the undertones that many members feel, that aren't in your little circle. COWS inception was to help others, not make fun of them.

Sorry, if I stepped on toes, am not trying to upset anyone, but I post little, but read allot. I see this happening numerous times, so maybe the experts need some internal filtering within themselves, at times, also. The experts have done a great job on this forum and I hope they continue, but remember where we all came from.

C. David Miller

CN8/Comcast Network Television

Central Pennsylvania Region

York, PA 17403

Return to posts index

Nicholas Bierzonski
on Nov 30, 2009 at 7:06:14 pm

Sounds like a great idea Ron!

-Nicholas Bierzonski
Senior Editor/DVD Author/Java Boy
http://www.finalfocusvideo.com

Return to posts index

Christopher Targia
on Nov 30, 2009 at 8:59:02 pm

Sounds like a great idea!

Return to posts index

Dan Monro
on Dec 2, 2009 at 2:14:41 pm

While you're at it, can you re-iterate (again and again) that people use explicit content in the subject of the post, please. I get a digest that I go through every morning, and if the subject is "Heeelp!" or "Can you guys help fix this..." I just delete it. Don't even go look. If I can tell at a glance that its something I might be able to offer advice on (which would be only the basic level stuff), I immediately go read the post.

That alone might help filter the expertise level of any given post. For example "Can't capture video" would probably indicate a more inexperienced user than "FCP drops frames when capturing 23.98 720p using AJA Kona v7". The latter could probably be moved to a Kona forum, and the former to a 'basic' forum.

I do second the notion that we'll get help no matter where we post. When I have an issue that is time critical, I post in every forum I can think of; Cow, IMUG, vendors sites, even the Samurai Repairman.

Dan Monro
FCP, Avid, AfterFX, Atlanta
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.5.7
GeForce 8600M GT Final Cut Pro 6.0.5 Quicktime 7.6
- OR -
2 x 3.2 Quad Xeon; 16 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.5.8
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 Final Cut Pro 7 Quicktime 7.6.4

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Dec 4, 2009 at 1:57:19 am

Ron,

You have a great forum.. Sure it gets choked up with trivia, but that is what makes for an interesting read.

You start redirecting eyeballs and you will kill the traffic that your advertisers like.

Your leaders do not have to respond to everything and they don't..

Don't mess with a good thing. Don't muck it up.

Go fishing, your working to hard.

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 4, 2009 at 2:28:58 am

[Nate Stephens] "Don't mess with a good thing. Don't muck it up."

Nate,

You're a bit late to the party, and you're just about the only person who has taken a stand against trying to make an improvement here.

All of the forum leaders and many of the regular visitors here have been hoping for something like this for a long time. Ron's concept is now ten days old and it's a test. I'm sure that if Ron and Kathlyn sense that it's not having a desirable effect, they'll figure out a way to fix it or they'll return things to the way they were before.

As John Lennon said, "give peace a chance."

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Dec 4, 2009 at 3:53:12 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "As John Lennon said, "give peace a chance.""

No, he said: "She come up flat top, she come groovin' up slowly. She got spinal traction, she shoot Coca Cola -- she say, one and one and one is three -- one thing I can tell you is you got to be free."

Or something like that...

And Paul never wrote words like that.

Ah, but as John also smirked: "Girls, Paul's the 'cute one.'"

I think both of these quotes require translation following a caffeinated precursor.

Oh, and not many posts are being moved anyway and it's been going for days, now. (Just to make my reply relevant -- though I prefer talking about The Beatles over coffee.)

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Return to posts index

Kelley Tuck
on Dec 4, 2009 at 3:39:25 pm

Hey Ron,

I really appreciate everything that the COW does for my work. I'm not able to post much - I'm trying to get into this more - but the information I find from searching threads is invaluable.

I do have one suggestion about what has been said. Maybe it is possible that one of the filters or organizational views could be 'Unread/Unanswered Posts.' A lot of times I will go around the COW searching for new posts that have no answer yet, in which I might be able to help. I'm personally not one to butt into an already budding dialogue, though if I think I can help, I will.

I believe that a bulk of the problem is unanswered posts, and therefore, people get frustrated and post wherever they think someone might answer. If you could have such a filter and put in people in charge of monitoring that particular filter, it may help keep cut down on people posting where they shouldn't. Just a suggestion...

Agape,
Kelley D. Tuck

“And so, since God in His mercy has given us this wonderful ministry, we never give up.”
2 Corinthians 4:1 (NLT)

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Dec 4, 2009 at 3:58:01 pm

I like your idea, Kelley. I think we'll have to add it to the supported types very shortly. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Dec 8, 2009 at 11:41:12 pm

Hi
In just responding to a (so far) unreplied-to post I realise there is another category that defines a 'basic' question: Where the questioner doesn't write/know enough about FCP to get a direct answer - where its unclear if there is a real problem, or whether its just arisen out of a misunderstanding of how the software works.

That sort of thread requires a question/answer dialogue before there can be any attempt at giving an appropriate response.
Trouble-shooting is an 'advanced' topic, giving a tutorial is 'basic'...

Return to posts index

Christopher Hill
on Dec 22, 2009 at 8:42:28 pm

[Kelley Tuck] "Maybe it is possible that one of the filters or organizational views could be 'Unread/Unanswered Posts.'"

I really like this idea. Possibly taking it a step further and also implementing a feature much like on Apple's Discussions forum where the original poster can mark their question Answered/Unanswered as well as give credit to responses they consider to be helpful, (though I guess we already have a rating system in place here).

This would allow the Filter to filter out answered and unanswered posts based on whether or not the original poster feels their question is answered, not just because the system detected that someone posted a response to their original post.

Return to posts index

Al Davis
on Dec 8, 2009 at 1:20:53 pm

Seems fair to me - Lets give it a try.
-Al

Al Davis
Visual Velocity
Brookline, MA

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Dec 8, 2009 at 8:20:52 pm

I like the idea...sometimes I'm not sure if what I'm asking should be in the newbie section...

I do appreciate all the help here...as an AVID guy learning and growing with Final Cut...Creative Cow has been an invaluable resource for me!

I try to add what I can and I appreciate all those who help me!

-Jason

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Dec 8, 2009 at 8:56:40 pm

I may be way off base here, but I think a majority of the reasons the basic questions end up here, is the sense of community. I rarely post a question, and won't unless I've already searched the question, and even less frequently post a solution, because somebody has already beaten me to it. But the people I trust are in this forum, the people I've come to know over years of being on the cow and meeting them at NAB etc.. If you were to re-direct my question to the other forum, your kicking me out of the family. I come to the cow once or twice a day just to learn from other people's issues, this is my Final Cut Family. Okay Ron not a good enough reason to abort your impending change, but I do think the sense of community is responsible for a large part of the growth of this forum.
Don Walker

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Dec 8, 2009 at 9:03:32 pm

Good point dan...and growth involves change. The community will be involved in adding ratings and helping to determine whether the question is relavent...I like the idea.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Dec 9, 2009 at 12:05:22 am

[Don Walker] "but I do think the sense of community is responsible for a large part of the growth of this forum."

I couldn't agree with you more, Don. But when the leaders ask time and again for a change of this nature, you have to listen to them, as well.

It can't be all about the lowest common denominator -- that only works in Age of Entitlement self esteem raising programs. We were slammed the other day by someone who wrote the admin team because this community was "so mean that the forum wouldn't keep trying over and over to answer my questions." The REAL problem? They didn't want to learn even the basics of what a format is or what the program settings are. How can you help someone like that?

The community can't possibly be responsible to answer everyone's questions. After all, some people want an answer without having to invest a single calorie burned to get the answer.

But I agree with you that the real strength of this community is the sense of community. But there has to be at least a modicum of balance in it.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Will Salley
on Dec 10, 2009 at 5:46:06 am

I realize I'm a little late to the party...I see the keg's floating!

Anyhow, I really like the suggestion by Walter to have pulldowns/checkmarks for other related forums and an added hardware forum and better yet the idea of filterable views.

Another suggestion I have is to add a hardware/software configuration weighting to the results of searches and forum views. An example would be if I searched for a question concerning the AJA KiPro, the results would factor in my particular hardware setup (as stated on my profile) and return posts with users having an identical or similar setup. I know this would necessitate the creation of a field for each component in a user's system, but it would be really useful.

Primary System Info -
Mac Pro 2x3.2 Quadcore - 10.6.2 - QT 7.6.3 - 20 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Dec 10, 2009 at 2:16:30 am

I've been thinking about this discussion...and just came across this post:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1066311

Shane answered it (like he always does with amazing timeliness!)

But it got me thinking...this is surely someone who doesn't fully understand how to use FCP...how do you get this type of poster to post in the basics section? To them, it's a major issue...because FCP isn't working, it won't import the video. But to most of us who read it...it's a very simple answer...

The great question is how to educate people who don't fully understand what they are asking...

Just thought I'd continue to add to this topic.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
on Dec 11, 2009 at 1:43:42 am

I concur Ron, great idea....

oh & as to Shane being timely on responses....

Shane never sleeps..... :)

Jon Schilling | VP of Sales & Marketing
Raidon-USA Technology, Inc.
15356 East Valley Blvd., Suite B
City of Industry, CA 91746
Tel:323.803.8884
Fax:323.372.3758
http://www.raidon-usa.com

Return to posts index

Peter Gruden
on Dec 12, 2009 at 4:13:50 pm

Ron,
I like the idea, but I beleive that at start only very basic questions should be moved to basic forum, so that forum users would slowly learn what to post where.
If all goes well, with time the bar could be moved higher.
Peter

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
Great idea ... why not for the AE forum too?
on Dec 15, 2009 at 3:01:40 pm

The AE forum has been around longer and, thus, suffered from this problem longer as compared to the FCP forum so it just seems the problem should be addressed there as well.

In any case, my vote is for a low vote count before moving (i.e., 3-5).

Return to posts index

Howard Ferguson
on Dec 18, 2009 at 2:13:39 am

Hi Ron,

Sometimes, in my experience, I have observed incoming questions that have been dismissed as "user error" by some of the far more experienced folks, but-

Other users- with less experience, but the same problems- are able to sort through the difficulties through direct experimentation on the actual systems involved.

Sometimes, those systems are less than state of the art, at this stage of software and hardware development-

So the more established seasoned pros have moved on from a relationship of old gear on newer software and hardware, and may not experience these situations.

I just think-
It will be less helpful if questions that are not fully understood are removed from a broader arena, where they can have the best chance of finding a solution.

I want to thank everyone for all the wonderful help I've gotten from Create Cow, on a number of topics !

Howard Ferguson

Return to posts index

Michael Brown
on Dec 22, 2009 at 7:04:15 pm

Excellent incentive! I sure I hope I don't get moved myself :-)

Michael Brown

Return to posts index

Ben Slocum
on Dec 31, 2009 at 5:51:29 pm

I like it! Great idea.

Ben Slocum
Production Manager
KCOY-TV

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 13, 2010 at 2:26:17 am

May be my imagination, but since Ron hung this post on the top, I see the Forum more tidy and organized.
Rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]