FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upper and lower fields in HDV

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Chiumento
Upper and lower fields in HDV
on Nov 24, 2009 at 6:04:22 pm

Anyone know of any good links or articles about capture settings when it comes to HD, HDV and SD?
Im working with a SONY HDV camera looks ok but I know Im missing something.

Maybe someone should invent a book that tells you what the best settings are for each camera?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Matthew Chiumento
Re: Upper and lower fields in HDV
on Nov 24, 2009 at 9:35:58 pm

Upper and lower Fields or go just plain square?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:28:15 pm

Hi Mathew,
All the HD interlaced flavors are UPPER FIRST>
Square have nothing to do here. HDV uses HD pixels.
There is a great article of Chris Poisson about capturing HDV as Prores.
SEARCH in the COW or Google. Everything about HDV have been repeated few millions if times.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Chiumento
on Nov 28, 2009 at 4:53:51 pm

Thanks! Will dig around for it..
Seeing alot of HD video with scan lines and break up in the picture.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 28, 2009 at 8:05:02 pm

[Matthew Chiumento] "Seeing alot of HD video with scan lines and break up in the picture."

I have no idea what you mean by break up, but you're seeing scan lines because you're monitoring on a computer monitor. See my explanation below...

You are looking at interlaced footage on a computer monitor that can't properly display interlaced fields like a proper TV or broadcast monitor. The fields you see on your computer monitor, one is even numbered scan lines, the other odd numbered scan lines, are combined on a TV create a single frame, which has no visible scan lines. On your computer monitor you see the individual fields displayed, not a combined image, i.e. a complete frame.

So, you either have to disregard the interlace when editing on a computer screen or get yourself a setup to display to a TV or broadcast monitor.

Also, keep in mind that if you export for the Web at 50% of the original size or less, that effectively makes the interlace go away. However, if you export for the Web at full size you will have to deinterlace, otherwise the interlace lines will show just as they do now in the FCP canvas.

Got it???

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 29, 2009 at 4:06:01 am

[David Roth Weiss] "Also, keep in mind that if you export for the Web at 50% of the original size or less, that effectively makes the interlace go away. However, if you export for the Web at full size you will have to deinterlace, otherwise the interlace lines will show just as they do now in the FCP canvas. "
Absolutely right.
Down from a certain size (that I do not remember), QT simply do not support Interlaced.
When you downscale the clip, the interlacing goes away.
BUT this automatic de-interlacing normally is VERY VERY bad. You have no control over what it is a very critic operation for your picture.
Always de-interlace by yourself.
I know that David will say that I complicate too much the things.
Have a sunny Sunday, like here.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]