FORUMS: list search recent posts

working with external storage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ann Lukacs
working with external storage
on Nov 23, 2009 at 5:00:04 pm

What's the best way to work with an external drive? I've been using consumer hard drives because of the cost but they keep crashing and stop working on me. Funds are very tight. Any ideas?

Is it better to use an external drive or internal drive when working on a project? I've been loading all my media on an external drive and working off that. Help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: working with external storage
on Nov 23, 2009 at 6:40:30 pm

[Ann Lukacs] "What's the best way to work with an external drive?"

Have one connected to the computer via FW400, FW800, eSATA...just not USB...like ever. And store all of your media on that drive...and tell FCP to use it as the Capture Scratch.

[Ann Lukacs] " I've been using consumer hard drives because of the cost but they keep crashing and stop working on me."

Because they are not designed for the very demanding bandwidth that VIDEO...uh...demands. Consumer drives are meant as data storage, not video playback and capture. That is why there are companies that specialize in making drive enclosures that are suitable. And yes, they are more expensive. You just need to shell out a little bit more if you want stability.

[Ann Lukacs] "Funds are very tight. Any ideas? "

G-technology G-Raids are good. G-drives too. More expensive are the Caldigit drives, but they are solid. MaxxDigital Edit Vault is good... some of the higher end drives from otherworldcomputing.com...the ones they make...are decent.

[Ann Lukacs] "Is it better to use an external drive or internal drive when working on a project?"

ALWAYS have media stored on the external. Project files on the internal....backed up ot the external nightly.

[Ann Lukacs] " I've been loading all my media on an external drive and working off that."

Then you are doing things right. You just need the proper drive enclosures...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Victor Perez
on Nov 23, 2009 at 7:03:21 pm

Have you checked in you Mac's System Preferences, under the Energy Saver option, that the 'Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible' is unchecked.

As for economical external drives I sometimes use OWC's Elite-Al Pro (Raid-0) to edit
and their Guardian MAXimus (Raid-1) to backup media / project files incase of failure to the Elite-Al Pro.
Currently waiting for Black Friday to decide on a new Cal-Digit Raid for bigger projects.

Victor
http://www.editvictor.com

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Nov 23, 2009 at 10:25:56 pm

Are you editing on a laptop or a desktop?

It's not always necessary to use an external drive, but it is necessary to use a dedicated drive. For example, if you own a Mac Pro, you have four internal drive bays. You could add a second, third or fourth internal drive and dedicate it to video.

With the exception of high performance external RAID systems, which can connect via eSATA, SAS or Fibre Channel, dedicated internal drives are potentially a better option for video storage. When using internal drives, there are fewer components to fail. When external drives fail, it's often the case that the actual hard drive has not failed, and the external enclosure's bridge chip or power supply has failed instead.

Additionally, with the exception of eSATA, an internal SATA connection is always going to be faster than Firewire 400 or 800, and there's no danger of bus contention as each drive has a dedicated connection to the motherboard. Since all Firewire ports on the computer share the same bus (which defaults to the speed of the slowest device connected), it can be problematic to use Firewire video devices (decks, cameras, I/O devices) in conjunction with Firewire storage devices.

Return to posts index

rick fetters
on Nov 24, 2009 at 6:21:11 pm

I am looking into external storage as well and would like to know how quiet the various alternatives are. Can someone who uses g-raid, g-drives, or OWC's drive comment on the fan/operating noise? I have to move the external drives between locations and therefore they are close to the computer and consequently close to my ears so I really prefer quiet drives with quality BB fans and good airflow design.

rick

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 24, 2009 at 6:39:42 pm

The G-Raids have a fan...and it is decently quiet. The G-Drives...single drive...don't have fans, so VERY quiet. But I prefer fans.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]