FORUMS: list search recent posts

Crashes on Renders etc. with XDCAM EX footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Phillips
Crashes on Renders etc. with XDCAM EX footage
on Nov 21, 2009 at 3:53:38 pm

I know that this has been covered before, but I am running out of time and patience with the system here!

Have recently upgraded to 8 core MacPro with Kona LHi and Firmtek RAID. Hardly ever had crashes on the old G5 despite it struggling with the HD footage.

Cutting a whole load of footage shot on an EX3 - quite a lot of Chroma Key stuff. When doing long renders I am getting the 'descending curtain of death' and have to hard-restart. If I render in small sections it is usually ok, but a bit frustrating.

I am editing in the XDCAM EX Sequence (I get the same problem using a Pro Res sequence). Doesn't seem to matter whether renders are set to XDCAM COdec or Pro Res codecs, I am still getting crashes.

System setup is MacPro 8 Core (2.93Ghz) 16Gb RAM, running Snow Leopard and FCP6.0.6. Prefs trashed, clean install of OS and FCS.

My suspicions are:

Kona LHi in the wrong slot (it's in slot 3 at the moment)
Conflict with the RAID Firmtek driver / Card (In slot 1)

Sometimes when scrubbing along the timeline I get a crash too.

Any ideas / advice please!! Thanks, Martin.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Crashes on Renders etc. with XDCAM EX footage
on Nov 21, 2009 at 8:20:30 pm

LHe you mean right?

99 times out of a hundred if you're having Kernal Panics it's because of a hardware issue. Drivers have to be compatible with your OS so be sure the ones for the Kona and the raid card are compatible.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Nov 21, 2009 at 9:13:25 pm

Thanks Jerry -

[Jerry Hofmann] "LHe you mean right?"

It is the LHi card (with the HDMI i/o)

The drivers are the latest (Snow Leopard compatible) ones from AJA and Firmtek.

I'm using Keylight for the Chroma Keying. Great plugin, but I am starting to think that this could be part of the problem too .....

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Nov 21, 2009 at 11:05:40 pm

The plugin also has to be totally compatible. Have you checked the website for it to see if it is?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Nov 22, 2009 at 11:25:55 am

Ok - have been trying various things. The most consistent workaround that I have found is to trash the prefs every 4 renders. This allows me 4 more until it crashes again.

So something is corrupting the preferences somewhere along the line.

On looking through other posts this seems to be quite a common problem with MacPros at the moment and goes back a year or so:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1011917

I think that next time will probably have to digitise straight from HD SDI to DVCPRO HD timeline until a workable solution can be found.

Am I alone here having this problem .... or am I missing something obvious? I've used FCP constantly for 8 years and NEVER had this amount of trouble.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 22, 2009 at 11:41:44 am

Hi Martin,
Really have been many complains about XDCAM in the 8 Cores, although in the last few weeks it seems that those complains have almost ceased (SL?).
Make a test, just for curiosity, and try to export render to 8b Uncompress.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Nov 22, 2009 at 12:04:17 pm

Hi Rafael,

Thanks for this. Encouraging that people are seeing this problem less. I was wondering whether these problems were SL related or the fact that I was running FCP6 rather than FCP7.

Will try your suggestion, although I am getting crashes when scrubbing along the timeline too.

So perhaps the days are gone when I could do a batch render whilst I go away for lunch!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 22, 2009 at 12:17:15 pm

Hi Martin,
I don't stop to recommends everybody using DiskWarrior or TechTools.
I bought a G5 some five years ago and for the first months i experienced a nightmare of having a hang every five minutes.
I live in Laos, no way to send the G5 nowhere. Thanks God I found DiskWarrior.
I keep on using it, and believe me, is what allows me to live 600 miles from the closest Apple service.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Dec 2, 2009 at 4:21:57 pm

Well, just to wrap this one up and if anyone else is having similar issues, the problem was caused by a faulty memory module giving ECC errors. Took out the offending one (and its pair) and I can now batch render and work without Kernel panics. Replacement being sent over by Apple UK under warranty.

Thanks for advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]