FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Wilson
Capture Question
on Nov 21, 2009 at 2:14:01 am

I am using FCP V 5.0.4 to capture video from a security cam using a ADS Pyro A/V Link (API-558-EFS). I use the Log and Capture and set it up as a "Non Controllable Device" with capture/input "DV NTSC 48 kHz".

The problem I have is that about 3 hours of video ends up being about 40GB. Im hoping someone could tell me how I would go about reducing the file size to something more reasonable (4GB or so, enough to fit onto a DVD)?

I have tried to compress the video after capturing but it takes like 10+ hours to do that for some reason (even though Im running a 4x2.5 GHz G5 w/ 8GB DDR2). I need a way to have it compressed while it's capturing.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Capture Question
on Nov 21, 2009 at 2:52:48 am

[Mike Wilson] "The problem I have is that about 3 hours of video ends up being about 40GB. Im hoping someone could tell me how I would go about reducing the file size to something more reasonable (4GB or so, enough to fit onto a DVD)? "

There is nothing wrong with that size. DV is 13GB/hour. So that is spot on.

NOW...to get it onto a DVD you need to compress it to the DVD format. You don't just copy what you have to the DVD and burn and have it work on DVD players. You take your files and either use iDVD and have it compress things for you... seeing that you are new at this. Or if you want to you can use DVD Studio Pro.

[Mike Wilson] "I have tried to compress the video after capturing but it takes like 10+ hours to do that for some reason"

COmpress it how? Using Compressor to the DVD presets? Yeah, this will take a while with your G5. I took me 19 hours once for a 1.5 hour DVD...so I said "screw this" and bought a capture card and DVD REcorder. That would be the EASY thing to do here. Instead of capturing into FCP, then encoding, then burning to DVD...get a DVD recorder and connect the camera to it and press PLAY and then RECORD. DONE.

[Mike Wilson] "I need a way to have it compressed while it's capturing."

Final Cut Pro cannot compress it to the DVD format while capturing...sorry. Get a DVD recorder. Under $99.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mike Wilson
on Nov 21, 2009 at 3:10:54 am

Thanks for the info. Well, I bought one of those new Sony DVD recorders but it only would record up to 60 minutes of video so I would have to change the DVD every hour which is not something Im able to do.

There has got to be a way to capture in a compressed format. How do these retail stores manage to capture footage all day long and store it? They are recording from dozens of cameras for 14 hours a day and usually keep the data stored for at least 30 days. Theres no way they are compressing all that footage at the end of each day.

Im looking for a way to capture and store video from my security camera for 3-5 hours (without having to change DVD's intermittently) and we able to put it onto a DVD without having to go through the long compression process. There's got to be a way to do this.....

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Nov 21, 2009 at 5:10:03 am

[Mike Wilson] "How do these retail stores manage to capture footage all day long and store it? They are recording from dozens of cameras for 14 hours a day and usually keep the data stored for at least 30 days."

They use special security video systems that are purpose built for the task. Some record to VHS tape, some record to hard drives, some record to other medium, but the systems are designed from the ground up as security video systems.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 21, 2009 at 5:28:27 am

[Mike Wilson] "There has got to be a way to capture in a compressed format. "

There is. Offline RT. But then that isn't the DVD format either. It is a data file that you can put onto a disk, but then you need a computer with QT to see it...it won't work in a DVD player.

[Mike Wilson] "How do these retail stores manage to capture footage all day long and store it?"

As Arnie mentions, they record to a specific small data file format. Or they record to VHS tape as SLP and only capture a few frames per second.

What is your goal here? To burn your tapes to DVD for viewing on a DVD player? And since each tape is only 1 hour long, what's wrong with your DVD REcorder only being able to record one hour at a time? Seems like a perfect match to me. My Panasonic does two hours...you might need a newer recorder. But are you trying to fit THREE hours on one DVD? Can't be done. Even if you capture and encode, the most you can get is 150 min... 3 hours is 180 min.

Again, what is your goal?

[Mike Wilson] "Im looking for a way to capture and store video from my security camera for 3-5 hours (without having to change DVD's intermittently) and we able to put it onto a DVD without having to go through the long compression process"

Ahhh....

I have no clue. This is not in the realm of FCPs design. It is an editing machine for internet, DVD and tape distribution. YouTube, Corporate video, weddings, broadcast television...that stuff. Not security video. You need to look into other solutions for that.

Shane

Return to posts index

Mike Wilson
on Nov 21, 2009 at 5:52:55 am

Thanks for the feedback.

It's not as much of a necessity to put it on DVD as it is to get 3 hours of recorded video down to 4GB or less. I'd actually prefer it to be in a quicktime format (vs DVD format). I just can't afford to have 40GB files and I can't afford the time it takes to compress. So, my goal, is simply to find a way to capture 3 hours of video *directly* into a 4GB (or less) file without having to spend 10 hours compressing.

So, if I capture in Offline RT NTSC, approximately how big would you estimate that the file size of 1 hour of video be?

Also, would I notice any depreciation in video/sound quality?

What is the difference with anamorphic?

What exactly is the key differences btw the DV 48 and the Offline RT?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 21, 2009 at 6:16:53 am

[Mike Wilson] "So, if I capture in Offline RT NTSC, approximately how big would you estimate that the file size of 1 hour of video be? "

Approximately 40 minutes of Offline RT footage requires only 1 GB of storage space.

[Mike Wilson] "Also, would I notice any depreciation in video/sound quality? "

OF COURSE! This is the low res capture option. You want low data rate and HIGH quality? Then you need H.264, but you cannot capture to H.264, and encoding to it can take a while. Devices like the Elgato Turbo.264 help, but that only encodes to Apple devices formats. And the CompressHD device from Matrox only works on Intel macs.

[Mike Wilson] "What is the difference with anamorphic?"

The picture is 16:9 but squeezed. Same data rate.

[Mike Wilson] "What exactly is the key differences btw the DV 48 and the Offline RT? "

Data rate, pixel dimensions. DV is 13GB/hour 720x480. Offline RT is Photo Jpeg 320x240 and 40 min is 1GB.

Shane

Return to posts index

Mikey Bouchereau
on Nov 21, 2009 at 12:37:21 pm

Shane I think this has been your best post in a while. Not only was it informitive but also entertaining to read.

Thanks!

Mikey B!

Follow Me On Twitter!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 21, 2009 at 8:09:33 pm

Get a DVD Recorder and set it to EP mode. In that mode you can record 6 hours of video on a DVD-R or 12 hours on a Dual Layer disc.

Personally, I have never heard of a DVD Recorder with only an XP (60 minute) record mode. Most allow to record in XP, SP (2 hours), LP (4 hours) and EP (6 hours). Just like a VCR.

You might want to invest in security system equipment.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]