FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please help! File format for editing in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie Moses
Please help! File format for editing in FCP
on Nov 20, 2009 at 3:08:33 am

I'm new to FCP, so please be patient with my ignorance. I am using FCP to edit footage taken from some DVDs. The end product will be projected onto a 5' screen and there will be no audio. I understand that there will be some quality loss, but a lot of the footage I'm using is from the silent film era and already is fairly poor quality, regardless I would like to limit quality loss as much as possible.

I've already done some editing; I just ripped the DVD and dragged the VOB files I wanted into the browser and had no problem editing them from there. After editing them down to what I want, I was going to export as a Quicktime movie. Is there a better way to do this? In a lot of forums, I keep reading about using MPEG Streamclip to export to DV, which I've done in a couple of cases because FCP would not let me import a couple of VOB files. But I would imagine that there will be some quality loss by doing it that way....right??? I guess I'm just a little confused. Is there a reason you would NOT want to just use VOB files?

I appreciate any help! Thanks,
Jamie

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
Re: Please help! File format for editing in FCP
on Nov 20, 2009 at 3:36:27 pm

I always use MpegStreamclip, but export to ProRes. Editing with the VOB files is a bad idea.

Return to posts index

Jamie Moses
Re: Please help! File format for editing in FCP
on Nov 20, 2009 at 8:37:27 pm

Thanks for the response! Could you explain why it is a bad idea?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]