FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multicam edit - with sequences not clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amber Navarrete
Multicam edit - with sequences not clips
on Nov 18, 2009 at 6:23:06 pm

I want to do a multicam edit. My footage was shot on P2 so there are multiple clips for each camera angle. I laid multiple clips from one camera angle into a sequence and multiple clips from a different camera angle into another sequence. Both sequences match up perfectly. Now I'd like to do a multicam edit with the two sequences but I can't figure out how. The only thing I can think of is to export movies from each sequence but I'd rather not due to file size. The program is around an hour and a half so that would be a lot of exporting and extra data. Any suggestions?

Thx,
Amber

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: Multicam edit - with sequences not clips
on Nov 18, 2009 at 6:30:11 pm

That's not how you do it. The manual spells this out very clearly. Look up "multiclip sequence" in the online manual.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Amber Navarrete
on Nov 18, 2009 at 6:43:24 pm

That doesn't help me. Anyone else have a suggestion?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 18, 2009 at 6:59:52 pm

That doesn't help you? He gives you the RIGHT answer, and because it isn't what you wanted to hear it "doesn't help you?" Wow...

That IS the answer. You cannot make multicam groups with sequences, nor nested sequences. They need to be actual honest-to-god QT files I guess you can nest each sequence and then layer them, and make each smaller (SCALE) and move them to corners of the screen...that is the "poor man's multicam" that we did before FCP 5 came out.

Or you can look into PLURAL EYES (google it) and that will take all of your footage and group them all on separate layers, even if they are spread out amongst several clips.

Is THAT the answer you want?

Lordy...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Amber Navarrete
on Nov 18, 2009 at 7:40:30 pm

In my defense I always address the manual before I post. I expect to get tips/tricks from the experts when posting to this forum. There are many ways of achieving the same results.

All answers have been helpful.

Thx,
Amber

Return to posts index

Anthony Moreschi
on Nov 18, 2009 at 7:03:06 pm

I just had to do something similar. There may be a better way to do this, but this is how I did it.

First, I laid all angles down in 1 sequence and got everything synched up. Then in that sequence I cut up the clips so that each angle had the same in points (this allows you to make the multiclip later on). I had 5 angles and my sequence was broken up into 7 sections with matching in points. Then you take each section and grab all angles/clips for that section and put them in a new bin. Repeat that last step so that you have a seperate bin for each section. Next you go to your first bin and select all the clips and make your multiclip. Use the in points to synch. This will drop a new multiclip in your bin. Repeat this for all bins. Now create a new sequence and drag you multiclips in.

In my case, not all the sections started at the same point, so in the original sequence, I had to trim each section to have the same in point as the clip with the latest in point in the section. Then once the multiclips are made you can drag out your in points if you need to.

I know that sounds confusing but I hope that helps. If anyone knows an easier, or the correct way to do this please let me know.

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
on Nov 18, 2009 at 8:53:37 pm

I just edited a music video, and not being ready to jump into multicam (didn't read the manual not ready for that yet), I used a suggestion I got here which was to line up the cips, and then using the basic motion tab, shrunk each clip to 40% and moved them to the corners. Cumbersome, but it worked well. Perhaps this will help.

Shameless plug for the music video:

Steven Gladstone
http://www.gladstonefilms.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Belzer-Adams
on Nov 18, 2009 at 9:56:28 pm

Have you tried exporting quicktime reference movies of the sequences and then bringing them back in as separate clips? I've never tried it, but off the top of my head I dont see why it wouldn't work.

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Nov 18, 2009 at 11:27:44 pm

Sheesh, you kids. Why, when I was your age we recorded iso feeds of multiple cameras to 2" quad machines located in the basement.

amber, before you try to edit these sequences in the multiclip interface, be sure you are plenty comfortable with the whole paradigm. Be sure to practice on some smaller, less complex pieces before you commit to a workflow that may take more time and effort than you could possibly recover.

For me, the only way to use multiclip for HD material is at the offline level and that would require getting all of the P2 clips assembled, exported as self-contained lo-rez movies, and brought back in. I'd be doing that with burned-in camera numbers and timecode but that's just me and it's a product of my mistrust of producers who can't direct their own way out of restroom stall but who want to call all the shots. This often ends up with several slugs of black from cameras that were off or changing chips or in the hands of incompetent shooters.
After the edit was locked, I'd recapture or relink to the high rez source. But that's just me.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Alex Tkachuk
on Nov 19, 2009 at 4:06:32 pm

Making a non self contained, or reference movie will work fine.

The file size will be smaller & the exports for each angle will be quicker.

-

Return to posts index

Alex Tkachuk
on Nov 19, 2009 at 7:23:45 pm

Edit - Although I'm curious if this has an effect on CPU and disk performance.

Whilst recently working on a project I'd exported several reference Quicktimes comprised of several tapes worth of footage with dozens of TC breaks in each. Mainly so I could work with one multclip which would minimize the possibility of sync errors further down the line. This process was then repeated for the 5 additional cameras.

If the non self contained movie file has to reference the original individual items of media that make up the source of the file. Then surely there's additional processing power involved here?

And as you know if you've used multiclips in FCP, you need as a fair amount of the systems resources to stream at a decent playback quality.

Does anyone know of any information regarding this?

-

Alex

http://www.alteritymedia.com

-

Return to posts index

Allynn Wilkinson
on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:10:11 pm

I'm with Alex on this one...

QT ref movies work just fine with Standard Definition files. I have often strung together more than three hours of footage from a three camera shoot; synced it all up on a timeline, added slug to cover tape changes, cut the head so everything starts at the same time and output each track as it's own QT ref. Then I bring the refs in as files and put them into a multi clip. Works like a charm

HOWEVER....
When I tried to do the same thing with a one hour, three camera shoot on Sony HD last week I got as far as making the multi clip. The refs were under a gig a piece so I had hopes but, no luck. Final Cut could not play all three clips simultaneously. It just gave me a black screen.

To be fair... I'm using an older machine with less RAM than it should have. It probably would have worked with 16 gig of RAM or so. Still... playing 3 HD clips simultaneously is asking a lot of any machine

Allynn

Return to posts index

Dennis Benti
on Apr 4, 2013 at 8:11:40 pm

Hi, I have a similar issue, but I am dealing with HD footage (1920 x 1080)... now I had 4 primary cameras covering a concert. 1 jib that returned AVCHD codec, 1 5D, and 2 7D's if I remember correctly.
I log and transferred all the footage to ProRes 422 so I could work with it in FCP 7 without bogging down my system (Quadcore Macbook Pro w/ 16gigs of RAM). I was able to get pluraleyes (in a couple of different batches) sync up all 4 camera angles, with multiple cuts due to the dslr's only recording so long, keeping in mind overheating problems encountered by others, etc. Thankfully I did have the jib footage go all the way through as a reference.
Well now I'm down to where I need to make the multticlip, which FCP 7 wants in/out/or timecode to sync... I'm looking for a solution to this that doesn't degrade my quality out when everything is said and done, and that doesn't require me to start over somewhere (God willing),
so I thought:
1) If I could add timecode to my whole timeline/each clip easily, that may be a solution, but haven't dealt with that.
2)I tried using the multiclip selection using Pluraleyes (not the new fancy version), but that only starts the multiclip, but when there are larger gaps between DSLR footage, it doesn't include the rest of the footage... I thought if I insert slugs to close the gaps with black footage, then perhaps it would successfully do the multicam (which is what I'm going to try next)
3)I considered editing a lower resolution version and referencing back to the better quality footage, but I don't really know much about that, or how to pull it off easily without getting mixed up, etc.
4)Another consideration was to export each camera angle as a single clip, so there wasn't a bunch of cuts anymore, then starting the multiclip at the start point

Any advise on the better route to take would be greatly appreciated.
This is for a gig that is a favor, but may end up paying, but money aside... I just want to do a good job, and figure out this workflow for future reference.

Thanks guys,

Dennis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]