FORUMS: list search recent posts

serious quicktime issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nigel Askew
serious quicktime issue
on Nov 18, 2009 at 11:26:00 am

I've been trying to convert (re-wrap) a ton a of avis to movs for a couple of days now and it's not gone well. Final cut pro was running quite badly with them but it managed to do some if i did a few at a time. i didn't want to leave it going over night at the risk of crashing and getting nothing done.

so i tried mpeg streamclip, which did the job but the videos came out looking interlaced. i tried to install ffmpeg but got lost.

I dont know at what point this happened, but a codec or something must have become corrupted, because now final cut crashes everytime i try to do save out one avi as a mov, and mpeg streamclip AND quicktime have both slowed to a crawl when i open an avi and so to "save as" - mov. before, they would both rocket through it, but now both are painfully slow. does anyone know what i might have done?

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: serious quicktime issue
on Nov 18, 2009 at 11:53:57 am

You probably should give the exact specifications of the original AVI material. Why aren't you using Compressor for this?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Nigel Askew
on Nov 18, 2009 at 12:04:39 pm

dv pal apparently. i was doing this before, the odd one here and there as i went along, and in quicktime is was simply a case of opening the file, going to save as and chosing a location, it wouldn't take much time and i'd get a nice neat mov out of it, completely unchanged.

i'm not using compressor because as far as i can see i can only re-encode it, which is an unnecessary hassle, re-wraps seem to be quicker and there's no risk of losing quality or increasing the file size.

Return to posts index

Nigel Askew
on Nov 18, 2009 at 12:09:11 pm

perhaps i'm wrong about compressor, and would be very happy to find that i can use compressor to do this job, but at the moment i'm more concerned that something has been changed at a base level in terms of what ever it is that quicktime and mpegstreamclip reference for re-wraps/conversions of avis and movs.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 18, 2009 at 12:34:02 pm

Hi Nigel
Are you sure you did uncheck "Interlaced scaling" in MPGSTreamclip?
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Nigel Askew
on Nov 18, 2009 at 12:38:04 pm

when you "save as" you don't get any of the options you do with export, there's no codec or scaling settings. you just choose the destination.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 18, 2009 at 12:52:40 pm

Nigel
Did you install the MPEG Streamclip "Save as AVI.component" from the Extras folder?
Andy

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 18, 2009 at 1:03:36 pm

Does exist that Andy?
can you re-wrap any kind of QT as AVI?
rafael

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 18, 2009 at 1:35:40 pm

no, not at all Rafa, it can't be just anything it has to be an AVI supported codec

Return to posts index

Nigel Askew
on Nov 18, 2009 at 1:22:16 pm

no, i'll try that, but it's not an avi i'm trying to save as, and it was working fine when i tried it yesterday, i dont understand what would have changed. if a program was using a codec or component and it crashed could that corrupt said component

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 18, 2009 at 1:29:30 pm

apologies Nigel, I misread .. you're going the other way yes? trying to rewrap dv pal avi to dv pal mov.

Return to posts index

Nigel Askew
on Nov 18, 2009 at 2:32:10 pm

yeah, avi to mov. im just concerned about this sudden change in speed. yesterday quicktime would save a 12 minute avi as a mov in about 45 seconds, now it seems like it's going to take over an hour to do exactly the same thing.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 18, 2009 at 1:01:45 pm

Hi Nigel,
I see the options on "Save as" (I had no idea of the existence).
But that the option shows there, it doesn't means that works.
If this would work, you could "Rewrap" a 1080 Prores as AVI.
Or as MP4, another of the options.
In fact I don't think that the "Rewrap" is possible between QT and AVI, whatever the codec.
I've never heard of going QT>AVI or back without rendering.
In the QT/MAC environment "Save as.." won't never lets you change the nature of the file. You will be able to change the name or the length of a movie, or Make a Reference movie only.
Anyway I may be wrong at this respect.
I've been going through the MPGStreamclip manual and found nothing.
Cheers,
rafael

Return to posts index

Nigel Askew
on Nov 18, 2009 at 2:58:01 pm

as far as i understand mov and avi are just container formats, and mov containers are compatible with dv pal, so i assumed you'd be able to transfer the video information into a new container. but please tell me if i'm wrong and all quicktime was doing was re-encoding the video very quickly, then if i sort this codec problem out i can start doing this another way. i appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 18, 2009 at 3:39:12 pm

Hi Nigel,
Fallow Andy advice and install the "Save as AVI.component" from the MPEG Streamclip Extras folder.
rafael

Return to posts index

Nigel Askew
on Nov 18, 2009 at 4:05:41 pm

ive done that and reset the mac, it hasnt rectified the problem, is there a base set of codecs on the mac somewhere that deal with movs and avis? (they're not divx avis) would a reinstall of final cut studio or even leopard reset whatever it is that's changed to make the whole "save as" process slower. even if there are better ways to do the job at hand it'd still like to sort this problem out rather than work around it, so i doesnt come back later and bite me on the arse.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 18, 2009 at 11:20:18 pm

Are you sure its not clip specific Nigel? Can you test again with one of the clips that appeared to convert without issue beforehand.

Regarding the "Save As AVI" component ... MPEG Streamclip's rewrap function should already work just fine without this component installed as it's functionality is already built directly in to the app; installing the component allows you to also use Quicktime Player or other supported apps to rewrap by using the "Movie to Save As AVI" option from the Export settings list. With that in mind, you might try using Quicktime Player 7 to open and export/rewrap one of these problem clips and see if that works ok.

Best
Andy

Return to posts index

Nigel Askew
on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:26:08 am

I've tried using quicktime, that's the problem, quicktime is not working like it did the day before yesterday. I've tried "save as" on several clips, 99% which were captured through premiere 6.5, by me, and none of them save any where nearly as fast as they did before. I didn't have the "save as avi" component installed before, and it's not an AVI that I want to save as anyway, because the files are already AVIs, i want to save them as movs.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:34:19 am

You don't use a Save As function for this; you use the export function.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Nigel Askew
on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:46:35 am

sorry to get impatient tom, but this is not the point. the point is i WAS using "save as" before, and this function worked fine. perhaps it's not the right way to convert avis, but how to convert avis isn't the question im asking. i'm asking:

what could have changed to make the process of "save as" in quicktime pro take 100x times as long as it did the day before. the facts:

on day 1 clicking "save as" would save an avi as a mov in about 45 seconds.

on day 2 doing exactly the same thing takes an hour.

what could have been changed within my system that would create this difference?

even if the export function works great it doesn't address the problem that something has changed somewhere that's affecting how my mac deals with avis and/or movs.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Nov 19, 2009 at 2:29:05 pm

I don't know how long your AVIs are but if it's just taking 45 seconds that is not the correct way to make them into .mov files. Maybe it worked for you, but all you're doing is re-wrapping it as a QuickTime file. You really need to convert it to the correct codecs used on the Mac. Your Premiere AVI will not be in a Mac codec. You need to do it as an export. Sure you can go the wrong way down a one way street. the car will not break down and the road won't collapse, but you shouldn't do it. Weak analogy but you get the idea. Do it the right way.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Nigel Askew
on Nov 19, 2009 at 3:53:03 pm

They're about 10-15 minutes each. I know it's a re-wrap, as stated in my first post. I might be wrong here, but i assumed re-wrapping dv-pal footage would be ok, i thought it was a codec native. The fact i shouldn't be doing it doesn't explain why the speed of doing it has changed.

to use your analogy, i feel like i've taken a car to a garage because it's gone from doing 60mph one day to 5mph the next, and all the mechanics are asking about the route i've been taking in the car instead of asking about the engine.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Nov 19, 2009 at 5:45:26 pm

It's not a great analogy because you don't actually know the speed of the vehicle, all you know is how long it takes you to get there. You're assuming it's slowed down, not that it's taking a different route.

Anyway, I'm assuming your computer is not slowing down, unless it has a faulty processor or RAM, or some hardware that has become defective, I'm assuming it's doing something differently. What's changed in the OS or QuickTime? New versions? New hardware? New software?

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Nigel Askew
on Nov 19, 2009 at 6:24:00 pm

if a drive into town takes 45 seconds one day, and then an hour the next day by the same route in the same car then i know that my car has slowed down.

re-wrapping an avi took 45 seconds on tuesday

yesterday it took aver an hour.

the same file, the same process, the same program.

i agree that something must have changed in my system, this is what i have said several times. if i knew what it was or could be then i wouldn't need to ask other people. i havent installed anything new. it's not slowing down according to activity monitor. FCP, Streamclip, Quicktime and Premiere Pro have all been affected by this change.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Nov 19, 2009 at 6:58:26 pm

If activity monitor isn't slowed down then it's got to tell you it's doing something else.

What version of FCP, OS, and QuickTime is this? This is from v2 on Premiere Pro on a PC, I think you said. The DV codec is not the same as the Apple DV codec.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Nigel Askew
on Nov 19, 2009 at 7:03:56 pm

"The DV codec is not the same as the Apple DV codec." this may be true, but all the programs i'm using didn't have a problem with the same AVI files from Premiere 2 days ago, and now they do.

i can't find out the versions of the programs right now as i've finished at work and gone home.

thanks for your time btw.

Return to posts index

Nigel Askew
on Nov 19, 2009 at 5:34:32 pm

im trying to encode a mov in premiere pro for mac and it's taking an rediculous amount of time to encode. this must be linked to the problem i'm talking about. whatever is used to as a reference to encode movs has been altered or broken. i know there there are component files for some codecs on the mac, but i couldnt see one for movs, and if i could, how would i replace or fix it?

Return to posts index

Nigel Askew
on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:48:58 am

premiere pro 2.0, pardon me.

Return to posts index

Coco Green
on Nov 25, 2009 at 6:15:49 am

Hi,Nigel Askew, sorry to hear you encountered such problem. When we spend time and money for good .mov files from other video formats, but at last we just get the bad converted video. I hate this, and I just encouned this days ago. So you don't need to be mad at this, it always happens. I'm a layman for transfering videos, but I'm so lucky to get good freeware named iWisoft Free Video Converter, it helps me to convert any video to mov. And it allows to change codec, video size, crop, trim etc. I like it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]