FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 This Project is unreadable

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Tasche
Final Cut Pro 7 This Project is unreadable
on Nov 16, 2009 at 11:04:29 pm

Alright I am totally stumped. I was working on a project on Osx 10.5.8 in final cut pro 7.0.
all of my Final cut pro docs: render files, capture scratch etc. and the project file were saved on an external HD formatted to Fat32.

I saved all and ejected the drive but didn't turn off the mac. About an hour later I plugged it back in and received the infamous "This project is unreadable...." message.

Niether the Project, a renamed duplicate or any of the autosave files (the oldest of which was created an hour before my last save) would open.

I tried the same thing with the drive plugged into a new mac book pro running 10.6 with FCP 7

I also tried copying just the project file to the new hard drive in the hopes that setting all the media offline would allow me to at least open the sequence. But still no go.

I have trashed my preferences and tried the FCS maintenance pack but nothing fixed it.

I feel that my project my just be irreversibly corrupt but any ideas would be awesome.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 This Project is unreadable
on Nov 17, 2009 at 2:35:04 am

Try running Disk Warrior on the drive that originally had the corrupt project on it. If DW can't help you, then you'll need to start over.

And while you're at it, start backing up your project files & other important data on a regular basis.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Nick Tasche
on Nov 17, 2009 at 3:38:38 am

Yeah DW won't help with drives that aren't Mac formatted.

Thanks for the Tip. I was using a friends computer just got my own. Could you send me to a thread that talks about the best way to back up the actual project file. I'm totally new to macs so I'm just learning.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Nov 17, 2009 at 2:13:59 pm

Go to versiontracker.com and search for an app called Carbon Copy Cloner. I use it for all my backups and for other data copying tasks. It's simple to use, works well, and it's shareware.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Nick Tasche
on Nov 17, 2009 at 3:25:18 pm

Alright will do. Thanks for the reply too, I'm sure I'll be on again since I'm so green.

Return to posts index

Dexter McBride
on Nov 17, 2009 at 7:09:27 pm

I would imagine you're problem almost certainly stems from using a FAT32 formatted HDD. Any chance you could copy those files to a properly formatted drive, and try loading your project from there?

Dexter McBride
MacPro, 10.5.8, FCS 2

Return to posts index

Nick Tasche
on Nov 17, 2009 at 7:47:32 pm

Oh yeah I tried Moving everything to my Macbook's HD but it was still no good. I think that the Hard drive itself trashed the file.

Return to posts index

Anna Thora Steinthorsdottir
on Dec 4, 2009 at 10:44:00 am

Hi Nick
I just encountered the same problem as I started my computer today. I have worked for 6 weeks on this projects and I devastated. My project is saved on an external volume but the autosaves are on the internal drive. None will open. Did you find a solution to your problems? Please let me know because I´m in trouble.
All the best
AThS

Anna Thora Steinthorsdottir
Producer / Editor
Klipp inc.
Reykjavik

Return to posts index

Nick Tasche
on Dec 7, 2009 at 6:29:58 am

Hey I just got your email. The best I could narrow it down was that my project had become corrupted.

If you saved and closed your project with a sequence open that contains a corrupted clip then it will corrupt the entire project because that sequence will open every time.

Dunno if you were having any troubles with your capture scratch?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]