FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will Fcp have problem with two graphic cards?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim McNally
Will Fcp have problem with two graphic cards?
on Nov 15, 2009 at 2:19:51 am

Just got a MacPro with the Nvidia GT120 card. I run dual monitors with the system. Just went through an extensive troubleshooting routine to solve stuttering HD footage in Final Cut and Quicktime. After unplugging one monitor, the stuttering problem went away.

So I ordered a second Gt120 card to run second monitor. I\'ve now just read that FCP may not like that.

Will the two cards be a problem?

Jim McNally
The Commercial Factory
http://www.commercialfactory.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Will Fcp have problem with two graphic cards?
on Nov 15, 2009 at 3:14:43 am

Two cards are not good. We have an ATI 3870 which drives 2 monitors with no problem. The newer model is the 4870 which is a terrific product.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Nov 15, 2009 at 4:07:31 am

I agree with John... get a beefier card, not a second one.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

Jim McNally
on Nov 15, 2009 at 4:10:39 am

Okay, thanks for the input. Back to the Apple store!

Jim McNally
The Commercial Factory
http://www.commercialfactory.com

Return to posts index

John Blankenship
on Nov 15, 2009 at 7:15:10 am

I'm running FCP (Studio 3, FCP 7) on a Mac Pro with four monitors driven by two NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT cards. I ran FCP 5 this way before I upgraded (I skipped 6).

The only issue I'm aware of has to do with which monitor I can use as a full screen playback monitor which is related to which monitor I have the timeline on.

FWIW, I also have Avid (3.1.3) on the same machine and it handles four monitors flawlessly. FCP is using an AJA IO but the Avid is software only.

(Mac Pro, Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 2 Processors, 4 Cores, 10GB Memory)

John B.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Nov 15, 2009 at 3:09:00 pm

There have been a lot of reports that Color doesn't work well with multiple cards... that's why the suggestion. Also the GPU in the upgraded cards will make renders of fx plugs in FCP, as well as speed up Motion and Color renders...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]