FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing squealing sound help

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Holly Buechel
Removing squealing sound help
on Nov 14, 2009 at 9:40:35 pm

Hello all,
I am working on a piece and my audio has some sound in it that I want to get rid of. It's the sound of metal scrapping against metal so it's a very high pitched squeal (kind of like rusty brakes). I tried a notch filter and the hum remover but I can't seem to find the frequency of the sound. Has anyone successfully removed a sound like this before? Where should I start?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Removing squealing sound help
on Nov 14, 2009 at 9:55:59 pm

Removing that sound with FCP or ST will be difficult. You need a program like Isotope RX to do it. What you want to do is called spectral repair.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Neal Broffman
on Nov 14, 2009 at 10:21:11 pm

Have you tried using Soundtrack Pro's frequency spectrum view and then the frequency selection tool? Use the selection tool to draw a box around the offending frequency (which you will easily be able to see) and then hit the delete button. In many many cases you can get rid of the problem.

Neal Broffman
One Production Place, Atlanta, GA
"Voices of Freedom", Special Jury winner for Fall 2008 CINE Awards produced for the High Museum of Art in Atlanta as part of a major exhibition of vintage Civil Rights Movement photographs, "Road To Freedom". Currently on display at The Field Musuem in Chicago followed by The Skirball Cultural Center in LA in the fall and The Bronx Museum, spring 2010.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 15, 2009 at 3:23:59 am

Thanks for the clarification, Neal. I was unaware STP had this capability. Is it in both v2 and 3?

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Holly Buechel
on Nov 15, 2009 at 3:51:10 am

Hey thanks! I was able to find the squeal and delete it but I lost some of the quality of the narration. Can't win them all but that was so useful! I didn't know Soundtrack could do such an amazing thing.

Return to posts index

Neal Broffman
on Nov 16, 2009 at 3:39:38 am

Glad this worked for you.
John,
It is in v2 and 3 of Soundtrack Pro. I found a fantastic tutorial about a year ago that gave a very concise step by step. I downloaded it but cannot remember where I originally found it. I have found it to be one of the most useful features of SP.

Neal Broffman
One Production Place, Atlanta, GA
"Voices of Freedom", Special Jury winner for Fall 2008 CINE Awards produced for the High Museum of Art in Atlanta as part of a major exhibition of vintage Civil Rights Movement photographs, "Road To Freedom". Currently on display at The Field Musuem in Chicago followed by The Skirball Cultural Center in LA in the fall and The Bronx Museum, spring 2010.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]