FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't Get Viewer to display 16:9?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Corbett
Can't Get Viewer to display 16:9?
on Nov 14, 2009 at 7:05:59 am

I really struggling migrating to Final Cut. After 12 years of discreet and Premiere, learning Final Cut is proving much, much harder than I antipated.

"Little" things bog me down for hours.

I can't find a way to display 16:9 clips correctly in the source viewer. I've checked the anamorphic button in settings and that gives the correct AR in the Program Viewer but how-oh-how do I do it in the source viewer? Plus shouldn't the thumbnails in the browser be 16:9?

I'm capturing Blackmagic 10-bit 16:9 via SDI.

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
Re: Can't Get Viewer to display 16:9?
on Nov 14, 2009 at 7:25:32 am

Plus the capture window is in 4:3 with 16:9 source material. There doesn't seem to be a 16:9 preset in the Blackmagic video settings - just "10-bit xxxx". Is a 4:3 capture window normal for capturing widescreen Blackmagic video?

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Nov 14, 2009 at 12:40:40 pm

If you see 16:9 in a 4:3 window just type control+u and it will rearrange to 16:9 windows in the viewer and canvas...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Nov 14, 2009 at 11:25:24 am

Check the item properties for the clips. Is the anamorphic flag checked?

If there us no Black Magic anamorphic preset duplicate one that's close to your spec and set the anamorphic check in it. That will yell the application that the captured media is 16:9.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
on Nov 15, 2009 at 2:07:36 am

Peter - less than 2 years ago I made the switch from PC Adobe to MAC FCP. It was about 12 years, like you, on Premiere, but I had to do it due to the massive failings of Premiere and client pressure.

Once you get the gist of it, it will be all smooth sailing from there on. I also had never owned a Mac and publicly ridiculed the whole format. Now I am totally converted having four FCP systems and just one CS4 room which I dread having to use but occasionally a client walks in with a Premiere project.

Patience is required and just try and learn it bit by bit, prioritizing on what you need at the time. You are lucky having the Blackmagic stuff there too as its one less thing to have to worry about.

I have just finish 5 major HD series in FCP and believe that I am much faster at it than I ever was with Premiere; and I am self educated on it. I just had a request from my last projects producer to provide a 4:3 FHA of the HD series and in about 3 button clicks had it ready to go; well almost; it wasn't all shot 4:3 safe so I had to do a shot by shot reframe but somehow it just all came natural. 2 years ago I would never had thought!

Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Nov 15, 2009 at 2:23:36 am

[Baz Leffler] "Peter - less than 2 years ago I made the switch from PC Adobe to MAC FCP. It was about 12 years, like you, on Premiere, but I had to do it due to the massive failings of Premiere and client pressure."

Thanks Baz,

Likewise here. I find I can't go to our nearest capital city and edit, as virtually all the production houses use FCP. I am picking it up quickly. I turned to FCP because of a P2 file number limitation in Premiere which I'm pleased to say has been fixed this week, but it came too late for me to start a new commercial so I baled to Mac.

I'm cutting a multicam classical concert this weekend and just downloaded Pluraleyes which has saved me heaps of time. Can't use that on Premiere.

It all takes time I guess like you say. It was the same when I switched from edit* to PPro.

I've bought a couple of books from Amazon which is driving my wife mad; "haven't you got anything better to read in bed?!"

Cheers and thanks,
Peter

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 15, 2009 at 3:12:31 am

[Peter Corbett] "It all takes time I guess like you say. It was the same when I switched from edit* to PPro."

Hey Peter,

Welcome to the fold. Almost all of us old Edit* freaks are FCPers now, so you'll feel very much at home here.

Just so you know, FCP took me no time at all to master. Meanwhile, I found Premiere so frustrating that I just gave up. BTW, I don't have a single Windows machine anymore.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]