FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 5d MkII field dominance

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve martin
Canon 5d MkII field dominance
on Nov 13, 2009 at 7:49:45 pm

Hello to all, I was wondering why my imported 1920x1080 .mov clips from the 5DmkII show up in the browser window as having a field dominance of odd. Isn't this supposed to be progressive material? Not sure how to set my sequence preset now either. Did some testing and output looks good regardless of whether I set it to odd or none. Just want it to be right, any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers!

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
Re: Canon 5d MkII field dominance
on Nov 13, 2009 at 8:31:32 pm

Yes it shoots progressive. You really want to convert the files to ProRes or similar first though as you will have to do a lot of rendering otherwise.

Peter

Return to posts index

steve martin
on Nov 13, 2009 at 8:47:57 pm

Yes I converted to ProRes, but it's the field dominance thing that's got me scratching my head?

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Nov 13, 2009 at 8:50:28 pm

If you are editing in 1080p then it should be set to none. For interlaced then it is upper/lower depending on your standard (I'm in the UK so I don't know about the US)

Peter

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Nov 13, 2009 at 9:26:00 pm

What settings are you using in FCP when you bring in this material? How exactly are you getting it into FCP?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

steve martin
on Nov 13, 2009 at 10:17:00 pm

My sequence settings look like this

I conformed first with Cinema Tools and imported to the browser from HD.
I captured from camera using Bridge CS4
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Nov 13, 2009 at 10:52:54 pm

What are your capture presets? That may effect how the clips are interpreted if they are imported. Also Bridge might be setting field dominance. You can change it to none in the browser, but as the material is progressive it's not going to do anything to the media because it doesn't have any fields. As long as the sequence is None it shouldn't be a problem for anything that's rendered.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

steve martin
on Nov 14, 2009 at 1:06:11 am

Thanks,

Interesting to note that the aspect ratio defaults back to HDV 1080i after I change it to Custom 16:9

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 14, 2009 at 3:46:22 am

But you haven't used this preset to capture nothing, don't you?
This is just a Capture Template with a new name. It have no "frames per seconds" set.
Nothing that you can use.I haven't found in FC any preset to capture p30.

As long as I know there is nothing to capture from the Canon. The signal out of the HDMI is not standard.
You copy H264 from the camera CF to your HD.
Nothing to mess around with field order: Always Progressive.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Dunn
on Nov 14, 2009 at 3:34:03 pm

I transcode it to ProRes LT in MPEG Streamclip, and then either let FCP automatically set my sequence settings when I drop in the first clip, or set the sequence settings yourself. One thing to remember, it shoots a true 30 fps as opposed to 29.97.
It works GREAT as ProRes (any flavor)

Daniel
http://www.ddunnproductions.com

Return to posts index

steve martin
on Nov 14, 2009 at 7:54:37 pm

Thanks! I have been advised elsewhere to conform to 29.97 and I have tried LT with good results also.
Best always, Steve

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 14, 2009 at 4:42:17 pm

[steve martin] "My sequence settings look like this "

Yo dude..

While the Cannon actually does shoot true P as H.264 video (like RED and Phantom)

Please note in your picture your seq settings clearly states that the format is 1920x1080 (HDTV 1080i 16x9)

While the h.264 file can play as true progressive on a computer the default transport of 1080 video as a broadcast signal is as interlaced or as a progressive segmented frame. see Psf.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

steve martin
on Nov 14, 2009 at 8:23:02 pm

Thanks Gary. The clips show a field dominance of odd after import into the browser from HD. I would think they would have field dominance of none if they were truly progressive material?
Best always, Steve.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Nov 14, 2009 at 8:35:57 pm

And FCP would know to set this to none because......? There is no way for it to tell the material is progressive, and as Gary said 1080 as a video format is normally interlaced.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

steve martin
on Nov 14, 2009 at 9:07:09 pm

Thanks, That makes sense. By the way the material looks gorgeous on the latest LED monitors.
Best always. Steve.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 16, 2009 at 2:33:57 pm

[steve martin] "Thanks Gary. The clips show a field dominance of odd after import into the browser from HD. I would think they would have field dominance of none if they were truly progressive material?"

It is called PsF or a Progressive segmented Frame
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/193/875880

it is the default transport of a baseband video signal as designed for all 1080 HD formats. While there are True P setups available they require a hardware card that has that feature set enabled and a display that can handle a True P signal in 1080 (most consumer monitors cannot)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

steve martin
on Nov 16, 2009 at 10:29:52 pm

Thanks Gary, this is excellent stuff.

Return to posts index