FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log and capture, 60i?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tracey Nole
Log and capture, 60i?
on Nov 13, 2009 at 6:55:35 pm

Hi!

I am a newbie, and have been working on a rockumentary. I've been shooting at 60i, but capturing at 29.97 fps for output to dvd for film festivals and the like. Is this a huge no no? Also, shooting with a Canon XHAI, is it possible to shoot the observational footage with 24fps and have that on the same time line as the 60i (1440 x 1080) for DVD?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Log and capture, 60i?
on Nov 13, 2009 at 7:15:07 pm

[Tracey Noelle Luz] "I've been shooting at 60i, but capturing at 29.97 fps for output to dvd for film festivals and the like. Is this a huge no no?"

60i is 29.97. 60 interlaced fields, two fields per frame.

[Tracey Noelle Luz] "Also, shooting with a Canon XHAI, is it possible to shoot the observational footage with 24fps and have that on the same time line as the 60i (1440 x 1080) for DVD? "

MIXING FRAMERATES? NO no no. This is the thing to be avoided. Format mixing is one thing, and is doable. But frame rate mixing? Unless you use Avid Media Composer 4.0 I'd avoid this like the plague.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 13, 2009 at 7:18:47 pm

[Shane Ross] "60i is 29.97. 60 interlaced fields, two fields per frame."

And as I've said on this forum multiple times, I want to strangle the person who dubbed the format 60i. Just creates needless confusion since it's really 29.97.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Tracey Nole
on Nov 14, 2009 at 5:06:24 pm

That's what I thought, but then, there's an option to capture at 60i? What's the difference?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tracey Nole
on Nov 14, 2009 at 5:08:46 pm

And the second part of my question, is it a total nightmare to capture both 24f and 60i for the same project?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]