FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Quad Core i7 iMacs and FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Figgiani
New Quad Core i7 iMacs and FCP
on Nov 12, 2009 at 7:58:13 pm

I have a late 2006 MacPro. 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon with 8 gigs of ram, 4 internal 500 gig hard drives and the ATI X1900 video card.

I've been holding off, waiting for apple to update the current lot of MacPro's before deciding what to do with regards to updating my system.

I was wondering what the general consensus is about these new 27" iMacs, specifically the 2.8 GHz Quad i7 with the high end video card and 8 gigs of ram. With an additional TB (total of 2 TB) of internal storage, I priced the system and it checks in at about $2700. Lets's not forget the embedded (and stellar) 27" display.

I use STP, Logic, and Peak Pro for audio work, and FCP for video post. I mostly edit 1080p/24p video transcoded from AVCHD to ProRes.

Any opinions on whether these new iMacs with an added external RAID would hold up as a solid production machine? I realize that in most cases iMacs are considered "consumer" machines. On the other hand the new machines (aside form internal upgrade flexibility) seem to be a legitimate option.

-paul.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: New Quad Core i7 iMacs and FCP
on Nov 12, 2009 at 8:11:19 pm

There are several threads on this forum regarding the new iMacs.

The shortcoming is FW800 is the most you can do for a direct connect external storage system.

But if you connect it to an external ethernet SAN like we do, well then it becomes a very serious production machine. Our initial thought is to create four new edit suites in our next facility built around iMacs and the ethernet SAN, provided Apple corrects the ethernet port issues in the latest Mac Pros.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Andrea Miranda
Re: IMac and new quad core i7 FCP
on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:07:12 am

I can not find the test on this model with the rendering AVCHD in Final Cut, If someone finds them can link them to me please, Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]