FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slideshows - Not happy with quality! How can I correct this?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Purnell
Slideshows - Not happy with quality! How can I correct this?
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:08:44 pm

I just finished up a 16 minute slideshow for a client. I used FCP and Motion 3 to create it. I used the same export settings I would use for a video project. I noticed that all pictures that had any kind of movement to it, had noticeable interlaced lines going through it or had artifacts. Even some of the transitions like the Push Slide or Cube Spin were jerky and not smooth. Let me be clear and say that I did not really notice these issues when I was editing. I noticed these things after I created the DVD and watched it on 2 different televisions.

So I am wondering a few things.

Do I select all clips and and DE-INTERLACE them?
" " with any kind of motion and add a gaussian blur to them?

I even noticed interlaced lines going through my company logo too which I never have seen happen before.

Should I have used a different export codec like Animation or something.

In FCP, I had my timeline set up as Apple ProRes 422 NTSC 48 and Capture to DV NTSC 48

Now my project is complete, is there anything I can do to fix this issue other than what I suggested I try above?

This video is for a client and I want to make sure it looks right before I give it to them.

Thanks

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Slideshows - Not happy with quality! How can I correct this?
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:19:29 pm

I don't do this a lot, but I'd try a progressive setting for the sequence's settings. 30p... o. Also use HD for this even if you're creating a SD DVD... it will end up much better looking I'll wager in the end.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Nov 12, 2009 at 6:04:07 pm

Jerry,

My project is completely finished so are you saying that I should copy my project, create a new 30p project in a HD codec and paste everything there? In terms of exporting what is the best one to use? There is no video elements in this piece, just pictures and graphics I created in Motion3. Actually I used motion to create about 6 minutes of the slideshow. The rest was created in FCP. I need to check the export settings I used in Motion as well.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 12, 2009 at 8:48:18 pm

I do a lot of slide shows and I can tell you that your images are too large for your sequence setting. I keep my stills no more than 2x my sequence size and have no issues.

You can try an HD setting to see if that improves the quality.

FCP does have some jerky transitions. I would suggest changing the one that are jerky.

As far as Codec, Motion will handle the stills much better than FCP. The current version of Motion works in ProRes as apposed to Animation Codec.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Nov 13, 2009 at 10:51:41 pm

I tried an HD codec and noticed better results in terms of playing back my timeline. When I exported and burned a DVD in iDVD, I noticed the same interlaced look. Before you start ripping me, I am going to sit down this weekend and learn DVDSP and hopefully that will give me some better results! It seems that my issue is when I go to burn the dvd.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]