FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maintaining Timecode on Batch export

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Uli Kunkel
Maintaining Timecode on Batch export
on Nov 12, 2009 at 2:56:06 pm

I have 4 hours of HD footage that I need to convert to 720x486 proxies with a timecode burn and that have the same timecode as the original footage. Normally, I would just take these clips and batch process them with Compressor using a custom setting with a timecode burn filter. However, whenever you format the HD footage to be letterboxed inside of the 720x486 frame, the timecode burn gets cut off. And, there is no way to make the timecode burn end up at the bottom of the frame of output, only the frame of encoded pixels.

So, I tried doing the same kind of output in FCP with a timecode burn filter applied to my footage, except when you batch export a quicktime conversion, you lose your original timecode. Thanks, Apple.

What I finally ended up doing was basically re-rendering a copy of all of my footage as QT Reference movies, full rez, with the TC burn in it, then dropping it onto a Compressor droplet that does the reformatting for me. I obviously wouldn't have to bother with the Compressor TC filter this time, and my original timecode was maintained.

I am fortunate enough to have had the time and hard drive space to do this this time around. But is there a better way? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Uli

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: Maintaining Timecode on Batch export
on Nov 12, 2009 at 3:07:45 pm

You probably can't batch, but QT Sync has helped a bunch of times when I wanted to insert TC overlay as a "text track" into a quicktime. Lots of nice features and very little processing time.

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Nov 12, 2009 at 3:44:46 pm

Hi Uli, how were you setting up your batch export in FCP when it stripped away the timecode? I recently batch exported a bunch of footage from within FCP and was pleasantly surprised to find that it had preserved the TC and Reel names. But I was simply exporting subclips (no filters, no resizing, etc), so maybe that's the difference.

Were you exporting footage via a timeline, or were you applying the filter to clips in a bin and then batching the files from there?

You can also re-associate timecode with the new clips via the FCP menus: MODIFY>TIMECODE...
Depending on how many clips you have, this may be faster then the alternatives.

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Uli Kunkel
on Nov 12, 2009 at 3:52:47 pm

I was exporting subclips with the TCR filter applied to them from a bin. To batch export to the format that I want, I would have to choose "Quicktime (custom)" from the settings menu. That is when I would lose my source timecode.

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Nov 12, 2009 at 4:00:34 pm

Yeah, that must be the difference. I was using "Format: Quicktime Movie" and "item settings" ...

Have you tried creating a sequence preset that matches your desired output, and then exporting using "Format:Quicktime Movie" then choosing that preset from the settings pulldown menu? Worth a shot....

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]