FORUMS: list search recent posts

4:3 to 16:9 ARC plugin

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie Worsfold
4:3 to 16:9 ARC plugin
on Nov 12, 2009 at 11:08:59 am

Hello all!

I know this has been asked time and time gain, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer:
Is there a plugin out there which will do me a decent aspect ratio conversion?

I know I can zoom in to the footage and distort etc etc which is what I usually would do. But this time the job I'm doing is a 2k Red shoot where I've got to insert some 4:3 SD archive footage... which I've had to rip from DVDs. And is all looking a bit crappy - looks like it was shot on VHS in the first place!!

(Yeah, yeah... laugh it up. 4:3 VHS quality next to 2k Red... I know, I know)

Zooming in obviously just makes things worse. So if I can't find a soultion then its going to be a case of grunging it up even more!!

Thank you!

jamie@jambonfilms.co.uk

Jambon Films

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
Re: 4:3 to 16:9 ARC plugin
on Nov 12, 2009 at 1:49:19 pm

Jamie,

Have a look here:

Andy's Elastic Aspect

-paul.

Return to posts index

Jamie Worsfold
on Nov 12, 2009 at 4:20:35 pm

Oh, that looks like it may work wonders. I shall give it a go. Thanks!

jamie@jambonfilms.co.uk

Jambon Films

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 12, 2009 at 9:51:45 pm

All that elastic aspect ratio gizmo will do is selectively stretch pixels in a 4x3 image to fit a 16x9 frame. You'll still have to scale it up, it's still from a ripped DVD, it'll still look lousy next to RED footage, so you'd better keep the grunge handy.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on Nov 12, 2009 at 10:33:11 pm

There there,
there is a product from MAgic Bullet called Instant HD which is meant to rescale footage better than the fcp motion tool. There is also a free plugi called Andys Better 3D which works well although i dont know if it will compare with 2k. You can also use compressor or motion which uses lanczos scaling which is much better, but i find the controls difficult to use.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1018706

best
nick

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 12, 2009 at 11:48:59 pm

I'd go with a straight zoom / crop ... simple as that. Your audience is far more sophisticated than you give them credit for, and they'll easily accept muddy looking archive footage mixed with the otherwise pristine footage. There are plenty of ways to handle and present the lower quality footage both creatively and artistically too, but a full cropped zoom is my personal favorite.

You might want to consider taking your SD source to a production house equipped with Teranex or Alchemist hardware and have your footage unconverted there. Depending on the quality of the source the results can be remarkable good.

The Elastic Aspect plug will certainly work at a pinch where a full anamorphic distort is worse than bad, but bear in mind that this plug is just manipulating an already anamorphically distorted image, it is not handling any SD to HD scaling itself, it's only adjusting the spread of the distortion between 4:3 to 16:9 . If you're going to use it then do yourself a favor and use it sparingly and with modest settings, the more aggressive you get the worse it'll look.

Best
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]