FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scaling 1080P SEQ to 720P keeping motion/scale elements?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Rogers
Scaling 1080P SEQ to 720P keeping motion/scale elements?
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:03:18 am

Hey guys, I'm hoping that one of you might be able to help me with this issue. I've got a client, that without consulting me, took 1080P RED footage (rendered out to ProRes) and started editing it. It wouldn't be a problem except that he put scaling moves on the footage. I had rendered out the footage in 1080P because I knew he wanted to punch in on some of the footage, but was going to have him edit on a 720P timeline so quality would stay higher. So he's got a 1080P timeline with clips that are scaled upto 170%! I know there is the "scale to sequence" option, but that really only works on clips that need to be scaled down to fit in whatever size timeline they are in. Is there any way to take a 1080P clip that's been pushed in and maybe has a move on it (basic motion move also, not just a scaling move) and get it into a 720P timeline without a ton of manual work? I know I can just nest a Seq into another one and that would work. However, I still need to color correct in Color and that would make it 10x hard. Plus, I think if I nest the Seq, the quality still won't be the same as a true, correct scaling for 720p.

I have the latest version of final cut.

Thanks,

Matthew

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Scaling 1080P SEQ to 720P keeping motion/scale elements?
on Nov 12, 2009 at 6:24:36 am

Hi Mathew,
When you change the sequence size, you must resize the footage.
You can not perform this re-sizing and keep the previous size changes.

[Matthew Rogers] " I know I can just nest a Seq into another one and that would work. However, I still need to color correct in "
Nesting would do it, but your footage would be upscaled inside the Nest, and then downscaled.
No good.
BTW, tell your client, that downscaling in FC, OK. Upscaling: No-no.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]