FORUMS: list search recent posts

Soundtrack Sent audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Kiersky
Soundtrack Sent audio
on Nov 11, 2009 at 3:56:26 pm

When sending audio to soundtrack pro from a sequence, I can edit, and save, and final cut will replace that clip's audio with the .stap audio. What about the other clips that are from the same source clip? can I have those use the .stap audio or do I have to edit each of my sequence clips individually?

It seems like I should be able to make global changes to the audio and use the clean audio for all my sequence clips. It seems redundant to have to send each clip from my sequence.

This is driving me crazy, I should not have to be making the same edits to my audio!

thanks!
ak

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Soundtrack Sent audio
on Nov 11, 2009 at 5:59:55 pm

Ive not tried this, but theory says it should work...

Make a copy of this sequence to test first. Then select all those other instances of audio and reconnect them to the stap file... see if indeed it won't work OK. They will not have the same names, so in the reconnection dialog box you'll need to manually select this new file for the reconnection.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

Aaron Kiersky
on Nov 11, 2009 at 6:13:50 pm

thanks for the response, I have tried that and it is looking for the video track to go along with it, even after un-linking the video and audio of the clip. Even if it did work, it seems tedious to have to re-connect audio on every clip in the sequence.

What is your workflow for editing audio in a sequence? Do you handle each clip's audio individually? for things like removing noise or normalizing, which could be globally applied to a master clip's audio to change all sequence clips.

thanks
ak

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Nov 11, 2009 at 6:20:32 pm

You don't have to go clip by clip... select all the clips at one time, then reconnect them all.

The original file then was Audio/Video? The more I thnk about it, that would give you problems.

The normal workflow to use Soundtrack Pro is to send the entire audio track, sweeten it, then send back to FCP.

When you need to export a single clip and don't want to send all, then just do it before you edit it in a sequence...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

Aaron Kiersky
on Nov 11, 2009 at 6:39:10 pm

I tried that too but it seems backwards to sweeten the audio before choosing which edits you want to use. When I send the master clip, from the browser, to soundtrack pro, after saving and returning to fcp the .stap is imported as a separate media asset, which I then have to re-link to the video, this still seems un-streamlined.

I guess im looking for an option to replace an audio track in my sequence with another track, keeping the same in/out points. I know about the replace edit command, but when I try to use it like this, I get this error: "This edit requires all target items to be linked." which wouldn't work for this, because I only want to replace the audio. I would think I could: right click>replace linked media, then choose another audio file in my browser.

seems so simple, but I cant find an elegant way.

thanks!
ak

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Nov 11, 2009 at 7:21:29 pm

It's so fast to use the reduce noise filter that I don't see it as a big time issue even on long clips..

But that said, you might ask about this in the SoundTrack Pro Forum. I'm sure there's a way to export your whole soundtrack to it, then correct once, and apply the correction to every instance where you need it.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Return to posts index

Aaron Kiersky
on Nov 11, 2009 at 7:51:28 pm

good ideas, thanks jerry!

ak

Return to posts index

Shannon Taggart
on Feb 10, 2011 at 3:01:36 pm

Hi Aaron - I know this post was from a long time ago, but did you ever find a solution to this Soundtrack pro dilemma in FCP? I'm having the same issue and it's driving me nuts! There has to be an easier way to take out a hum! Thanks for any info you can share. Best, Shannon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]