FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-ray and Multiple Formats

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Ryan
Blu-ray and Multiple Formats
on Nov 10, 2009 at 6:20:46 pm

Hi All,

My first post, but I've long been coming here to get really useful information on a wealth of topics. A great site! Now my problem; we're organising a film festival and currently running a series of pre-festival selection screenings to finalise our programme. We've decided to put all the films for a given screening on to a blu-ray disc (a lot are HD). The trouble is, the films submitted to us have quite a mix of formats, frame sizes and aspect ratios.

Currently my invented workflow is to export all files to ProRes422 HQ, add them all to a timeline in FCP, render and burn to disc using Share but this takes a fair bit of time and often things fail at the burn stage.

Can anyone offer any advice to speed things up or make the process reasonably reliable? We're running a quad core Mac Pro with 8GB RAM, Snow Leopard, FCS 3 and an LG BE08 blu-ray burner.

Any tips and criticisms greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Matt

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: Blu-ray and Multiple Formats
on Nov 11, 2009 at 2:25:06 am

[Matt Ryan] "The trouble is, the films submitted to us have quite a mix of formats, frame sizes and aspect ratios."

[Matt Ryan] "Can anyone offer any advice to speed things up or make the process reasonably reliable?"

For next year, you can dictate the submission format. If someone submits something outside of your spec, too bad, reject them. This is how it's done at Cannes and Sundance.

For this year, use Compressor to conform all of your videos to a single standard, drop them into a single FCP timeline and use the Share feature to make a disk image to burn to Blu-Ray.

[Matt Ryan] "often things fail at the burn stage."

Do you get an error message to tell you why? I usually make a disk image first, and then burn that.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Matt Ryan
Re: Blu-ray and Multiple Formats
on Nov 11, 2009 at 7:06:19 am

Hi Arnie,

Thanks for your reply. Just yesterday, after encoding 1hr 45mins of films, Share got to the burn stage and after 60% complete I got a message telling me it couldn't burn the disc and to check the size of the volume. I checked everything: the burn destination was definitely a blu-ray disc in our blu-ray burner, the size of the image was almost 13GB and out internal disc had more than 300GB available.

Without a program like Toast, is it possible to burn the image at a later time through FCP?

Thanks again!

Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]