FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing With Canopus ADVC-100

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucas Haber
Capturing With Canopus ADVC-100
on Nov 9, 2009 at 10:12:26 pm

Hi,
i am trying to capture from a VHS to FCP. i have a VCR plugged into my Canopus ADVD-100 and the ADVC-100 plugged into my mac via a 4 pin - 6 pin firewire cable. i am running FCP 6. When i open log and capture i set the capture settings to non-controllable device. when i click capture now, the capture window (the one that shows the video being captured) pops up for a second and then disappears with no error message or explanation. assume i have some wrong setting. Can anyone help?Thanks

Lucas

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Capturing With Canopus ADVC-100
on Nov 9, 2009 at 11:15:31 pm

YOu need to choose the DV/NTSC EASY SETUP. That is the only one that works with that device. Or DV/PAL, iffin' your in Europe...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lucas Haber
on Nov 9, 2009 at 11:40:05 pm

Under easy setup it is already set to dv ntsc. Anything else?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 10, 2009 at 1:04:10 am

Make sure the dip switches on the Canopus are set to NTSC as well.

Other than that...got me.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jim Glickert
on Nov 10, 2009 at 5:42:29 am

Hi Lucas. Here are some things to try:

(1) Make sure you haven't made a simple mistake by patching the VCR outputs to the ADVC outputs, for example. It happens. Make sure the VCR outputs are connected to the ADVC inputs.

(2) Make sure the ADVC is set up in the correct mode--i.e. digital or analog. The LED on the front will tell you. Try it both ways.

(3) In FCP, try Easy Setup for "NTSC-DV FireWire Basic". I see that "DV-NTSC" is available, but give this other one a shot.

(4) Is FCP "seeing" your ADVC? That is, does it indicate that there is indeed a FireWire device connected to your computer?

I'm away from home and my ADVC unit right now, so I can't think of anything else at the moment. Sorry.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jim

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
on Nov 10, 2009 at 6:48:05 pm

Your settings seem OK. Using the same Canopus box, I recently digitized a lot of S-VHS footage with those settings and the same version of FCP. As noted earlier, FCP should see the Canopus with the capture tab set to FW. When it's set to non controllable device, it should indicate no connection. Manually starting the VCR and then choosing capture now, hopefully you'll be good to go.

Return to posts index

C David Miller
on Nov 13, 2009 at 3:31:58 am

You said you have the Canopus connected to your Mac via 4-6pin FW cable. Do you have a power supply conected to run your Canopus?

The Canopus will run without a power supply, via 6pin - 6pin FW cable, but not the way you have commented on. Either use a 6-6pin FW cable or add the optional power supply, so you can use it with the 4-6pin FW.

Good Luck

C. David Miller

CN8/Comcast Network Television

Central Pennsylvania Region

1050 East King Street

York, PA 17403

717-451-0138

Return to posts index

Ben Northenor
on May 29, 2011 at 8:40:59 pm

I'm having a similar problem. I have the canopus 300 and I'm trying to capture Hi 8 Tapes with a Sony Handycam Vision. When I go into Log and Capture in FCP 6, I have to press play on the camera and then it plays in Log and Capture, but when I hit Capture, nothing happens. I'm so confused!! I've tried non-controllable device, NTSC firewire, NTSC firewire basic.. etc... Can someone please help me....

Set Up

Canopus 300 hooked up to my G5 tower by DV I/O on the front of the box to my firewire port on the front of the tower.

Sony Handycam Vision hooked up to the box using an S cable and the audio video cord. (All plugged in the FRONT of the Canopus 300 box)

I turn on the camera and box, open FCP, Go to easy set up, Log and Capture, I then have a blue screen appear, I press play on the camera and the video starts playing in my Log and Capture window, I press Capture and nothing happens. It lets me press it, but it never stars capturing. I'm going crazy.. Somebody please help me. Thank you in advance.

http://www.bennorthenor.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]