FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you copy a project in fcp?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
carlos castro
How do you copy a project in fcp?
on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:48:22 pm

I know that it may sound stupid, but I haven't copied an entire project before in FCP. I'm working with a client and a lot is his footage, templates, lower thirds etc... will be recycled.

I would like to back it up to an external drive and free up space in my media drive. If there is a link or tutorial on this subject that you guys could point me to, I'd really appreciate the help. I'm thankfully getting busier lately so I can't keep media on the drives as long as I use to.

Is there a folder or folders you need to copy where everything associated with the project will follow or do you simply need to go 1 by 1 and copy the materials over ?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve Cohen
Re: How do you copy a project in fcp?
on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:56:52 pm

If you want to duplicate the project you can do it 2 ways.

One with FCP open just do a save as and either save it with the same name at a different location or save it to the same location with a different name.

The other method is to just copy and paste it in the MAC finder and give it a different name if you want.

Do you want to copy the media over as well or just the project?

The media you can again just copy and paste or you can Media Manage the entire project and that will copy everything over to a different place.

If you copy just th eproject like in option 1 then any other files that were used in the project that can't be re-digitized (like Live Type files, Motion files, Music, Sound Effects or anything else would need to be copied and pasted as well.

Steve Cohen

Senior Editor

O2 Media Inc.

Return to posts index

carlos castro
on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:17:49 pm

Thanks for your help Steve, Yes I would like all media and clips etc... associate with the project. I will look into the media manager aspect you mentioned then.

Do you have a link that shows how its done?

thanks again.

Return to posts index

Steve Cohen
on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:42:27 pm

No I don't, but if you do a search on the forum you'll find plenty of stuff about it.

It's not too difficult to do though, there are several options, you can copy all the media, or just what was actually used in the piece, but if you're going to copy all the media the easiest way is to just copy and paste the project folder in you capture scratch folder and then anything else that you need (the sequence, LT files, Motion Files)

The only reason I would use Media Manager is if I'm trying to reduce the amount of information that is going to be copied and I was going to tell it to copy only what was used in the project with some handles.

Steve Cohen

Senior Editor

O2 Media Inc.

Return to posts index

carlos castro
on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:53:19 pm

Thanks Steve for your help. I will look on the site for a link or the topic.

I appreciate your help.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 9, 2009 at 11:10:48 pm

[carlos castro] "I will look on the site for a link or the topic."

I know it is a sign of weakness but you could look it up in the manual. Media Manager is comprehensively explained.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]