FORUMS: list search recent posts

harddrive upgrade with new system

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex padilla
harddrive upgrade with new system
on Nov 9, 2009 at 3:09:49 pm

My company is looking to up grade to the Two 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 16GB memory, my question is. . Will this unit handle 4 - 2TB drives @ 5900 RPM or do i have to have 7200 rpm's with 1.5 TBs..

Thanks
Alex \
mediaspeciali50@hotmail.com

Alex Padilla

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: harddrive upgrade with new system
on Nov 9, 2009 at 5:32:42 pm

[alex padilla] "Will this unit handle 4 - 2TB drives @ 5900 RPM or do i have to have 7200 rpm's with 1.5 TBs.. "

Every MacPro has internal 4 drive bays. One of those must contain the system drive, which does not need to be a large drive, as it will only contain applications and the OS. It should be just a 500Gb drive. The other drives will be media drives, which should be large and fast. So, they should be 7200 RPMs under any circumstance, size can be be anything you want. BTW, depending upon what type of video you will be working with, you should consider striping the three media into a Raid-0 for performance, which will give you nearly 3X the throughput of singles drives. An external backup of some sort is also important no matter what, unless you get an external Riad with Raid-5 protection.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

alex padilla
on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:19:02 pm

Great - Smaller drive for the os i can understand that. As far as the other drives - i can understand the need for the 7200 RPMs. will a 10,000 RPM drive be any faster for video editing?

Alex Padilla

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 10, 2009 at 10:14:29 pm

10,000 RPM drives are really an unnecessary expense. Raiding the drives a stripe set at Raid-0 will give you throughput that far exceeds any benefit from 10,000 RPM drives, and are hands-down winners in a cost/benefit analysis.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

alex padilla
on Nov 11, 2009 at 2:39:57 pm

THANKS DAVID, It was just one of those little, what if's.

love the cow

Alex Padilla

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]