FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD deck setup from FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Knapich
HD deck setup from FCP
on Nov 9, 2009 at 2:46:56 pm

We run OS 10.5.8 on an Intel Quad Core. When outputting to tape from FCP we usually come out of our Kona KHe card using the SDI and remote cable. We have not used a black generator in the past. I usually black a tape with the appropriate TC and then lay down my bars/slate/program by inserting. THis usually works fine. We have done this mostly with Digi Beta or DVC50. I should add we own only the DVC50 and usually rent a DigiBeta or HD deck when necessary.
i am anticipating going to Panasonic DVCPRO HD in the near future.
For those of you who do not have a large control room with a rack of decks, do you also use a black generator to sync up your deck and system?
I am interested in other editors setups since we want to improve on this.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: HD deck setup from FCP
on Nov 9, 2009 at 3:02:45 pm

[John Knapich] "For those of you who do not have a large control room with a rack of decks, do you also use a black generator to sync up your deck and system?"

Yup. I output to HDCAM SR, so we have the AJA Tri-sync generator. Also have BetaSP, and use SYNC with that too. Always have.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Knapich
on Nov 9, 2009 at 3:18:31 pm

So you hookup the Ref-In cable from the Kona card and the deck ref to the AJA tri-sync and that locks it all up.
Dont know why, but I never truly understood the sync business.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 9, 2009 at 6:45:59 pm

Sync is basically a PACEMAKER for things. It makes sure that the capture card and the deck are in sync...they have EXACTLY the same Hz rate and frame rate. I don't know the DEEP engineering behind it, just that it is needed.

And yes, you send ref to the card and to the deck.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 10, 2009 at 5:03:36 pm

Checkout the AJA Gen10. It's a great sync gen and does both SD (black or bars) and HD tri-sync simultaneously (if desired). It's very flexible.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]