FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does 30p capture as 60i? Shot on dvx100.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nick bergthold
Does 30p capture as 60i? Shot on dvx100.
on Nov 9, 2009 at 5:48:02 am

I captured a bunch of footage shot on the dvx100 at 30p. I can tell it is progressive by viewing the footage and seeing no traces of "combing". However, when I open the files in MediaInfo Mac -- it lists the footage as "interlaced". I'm wondering if 30p is always captured as a 60i file -- or if this is just an error on MediaInfo's side. When exporting this footage to MPEG-2 for DVD, does any special handling need to take place? I'm assuming there is no need to "de-interlace" the footage since it is shot progressive. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Does 30p capture as 60i? Shot on dvx100.
on Nov 9, 2009 at 4:54:31 pm

[nick bergthold] "I'm wondering if 30p is always captured as a 60i file --"

Yup. That's because it's recorded as a 29.97 interlaced file on the DVX 100. Because why? That's the DV technical standard, that's why.

[nick bergthold] "'m assuming there is no need to "de-interlace" the footage since it is shot progressive..."

That's correct.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

nick bergthold
on Nov 9, 2009 at 6:02:29 pm

so is it safe to say that ALL shot 30p footage comes through as 29.97 because it is captured to the minidv tapes? So is 24p footage captured to minidv tapes coming across as 23.97 interlaced? What about cameras that capture 24p and 30p to P2 cards or harddrive? Are those TRUE progressive files? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 9, 2009 at 10:13:05 pm

[nick bergthold] "...is it safe to say that ALL shot 30p footage comes through as 29.97 because it is captured to the minidv tapes? "

No, it's because it's standard definition, and all standard definition video is interlaced.

[nick bergthold] "...is 24p footage captured to minidv tapes coming across as 23.97 interlaced?"

Cripes, I hope not! I hope that anything that shoots 24p or 24pa is recorded at 29.97 on DV.... and interlaced.

[nick bergthold] "What about cameras that capture 24p and 30p to P2 cards or harddrive?"

It all depends on how you have the camera set up and whether the camera is capable of shooting 24pn or 30pn.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]