FORUMS: list search recent posts

pal AND ntsc delivery from HD master

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Rampe
pal AND ntsc delivery from HD master
on Nov 8, 2009 at 10:03:14 pm

I am currently working on a project that was shot on the Canon 5D mark2 at 1080 30fps. I am in a PAL country.

I initially converted the footage to Apple ProRes4444 which has traveled well through final cut and Color.

I am now in the process of working out the deliverables. Ideally, I want 4 deliverables:
SD PAL (DV and DVD)
SD NTSC (DV and DVD)
HD 25fps (HDV and digital master)
HD 30fps (HDV and digital master)

I used compressor to create both a SD PAL and SD NTSC version and made a DVD of each.

Now to the issue.....
On the timeline, both look very similar (very slight green/magenta shift but no luma or saturation shift.) This is also what I see when outputting to a broadcast monitor using a blackmagic card. The DVDs I made however, are vastly different in saturation and luma WHEN VIEWED ON A CONSUMER MONITOR. The NTSC DVD is oversaturated and crushed whilst the PAL version looks less saturated and bright. When the DVDs are viewed on a broadcast monitor at work, they look as they did from the blackmagic card.

Is there some special colour space conversion I am missing to get these two DVDs to match?

Return to posts index

Michael Rampe
Re: pal AND ntsc delivery from HD master
on Nov 9, 2009 at 1:12:15 am

I managed to replicate the issue with both DV and HDV.

The output from the blackmagic card in NTSC and PAL match the output in DV PAL and HDV PAL. The output from DV NTSC and HDV NTSC are MUCH darker and oversaturated.

Any comments or workarounds would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Andrew Turner
Re: pal AND ntsc delivery from HD master
on Jan 14, 2010 at 4:02:02 pm

Hi Michael,

I'm currently working on a project shot on a 5d mk2 and have the same requirements for deliverables. Could you talk about how you delt with frame rate conversion or conforming to the different frame rates .? I'm quite stuck and cant seem to find an awnser.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]