FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question for Mac and FCP users

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Orr
Question for Mac and FCP users
on Nov 8, 2009 at 3:33:37 pm

Hello,

I've been a PC oriented person since I ever used a computer, but I'm now interested in getting a Mac Book Pro with FCP. I've always heard that for PC NLE systems, the best thing to do is to get one system for editing, and another for personal use. I've heard lots of stories where ppl use one computer for both uses, and with all kinds of codecs polluting a system, that can result in hours of headaches, workarounds, heart attacks and temporary blindness.

But for Macs, particularly the Mac Book Pro, is this necessary?

I'm interested in doing this.
1) MBP with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (for FCP editing , personal, and possible gaming use)
2) Parallels Desktop 5 (to run Windows for personal/gaming use)

Thanks for the help,
Ryan

P.s. Love CreativeCow.net

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Question for Mac and FCP users
on Nov 8, 2009 at 4:03:19 pm

If you're a professional making your living off the NLE, then you want to separate the editing and personal machine. This is what I do. We have four edit workstations and all my person stuff I do on my own MacBook Pr.

If you're a hobbyist then having one computer for everything is fine.

However, I have no idea how well Parallels will work for running PC games on the Mac. Someone else will have to answer that one.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 8, 2009 at 4:18:46 pm

Hi Ryan,
The MBP is a professional machine.
No problem in running whatever you want.
If you come from PCs, learn about the machine and the System.
Learn to maintain it.
About Parallels, you should ask in the Apple-Windows on Mac forum.
Works very well.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
on Nov 8, 2009 at 4:35:06 pm

An alternative is for you to also use Windows on the Mac, but never ever use the Windows side of things to go on the internet because that is where all the bugs come through.

I do not use Windows, but I do indeed use my Mac for both personal and pro work and Mac is the most stable platform no matter what. I just don't have any trouble with FCP or any of the other software, but I should now knock on wood.

Greg Ondera
http://www.Plexus.tv
http://www.SurgeonToday.org

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
on Nov 8, 2009 at 4:52:18 pm

I did not know about the bugs if you use parallels and surfing on the PC side. Interesting.

Well I'm sure I've showed my green side asking a silly question like that. I do work at our local television station, and do pro work there. We use PCs using Avid Newscutter (yeah, it's a news station too). But I do a good amount of freelancing stuff that's semi-local, and I'd like to think it's pro. Like I said, I'm looking to get into the FCP, but at the same time, I do like the occasional game here and there.

I'm alittle lean on the money sides, but a few more jobs will pay me enough to build me a new FCP editing system, and possibly also get a PC laptop to safely do my personal stuff.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 8, 2009 at 6:09:07 pm

With a MBP and an eSATA RAID-0, except 10b 1080, you can do whatever you want.
Rafael
PS: I wisI'd have time for playing games in my MAC.

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Nov 8, 2009 at 7:09:12 pm

Ryan,

My MBPro has a 320gb drive, half for win7, half for osx. I would say dual boot is safer than parallels, but I have used both (VMWare, not parallels, but the same sort of thing.)

It boots up to Windows by default as I prefer windows, unless I am editing with FCP, of course.

As Walter says, its always best to be as clean as possible with an edit system, but I have a Mac desktop for more serious editing and have had no problems running windows on a mac.

Mark.

Return to posts index

Larry Applegate
on Nov 8, 2009 at 8:15:12 pm

I use VMWare Fusion, more stable than Parallels which destroyed the internal Raid on my Mac Pro, but admittedly that was a couple of years ago. But if you want to do gaming on Windows, boot it natively or you will be very disappointed with performance.

Regards,

Larry Applegate
http://blustreak.dvdafteredit.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Nov 8, 2009 at 9:48:51 pm

Boot camp running windows will be better than either of the emulation programs for games. All you do is restart the computer to get to a windows environment. There aren't any more bugs doing this than running a PC normally at all. Viruses et all of course are written for PC's not much if any for Macs...

I've been running my Macs with FCP, and FCS since there was FCP. I've always used them for both editing and personal use. There's never been any problems with this... I'd suggest you run your Mac side with FCP and all your personal things, and leave the bootcamp PC JUST for games. Or simply disconnect it from the Internet when gaming. That's got to be safe all round, right?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]