FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Gray
Playback...
on Nov 8, 2009 at 6:44:42 am

When I switch on External View... I get only a frozen image on both the Canvas and the Desktop Preview.

I set it for All Frames and I get the same... so I'm confused by these settings. How do I get the Desktop Preview to playback properly? My Audio/Visual setting for Video Playback is "Digital Cinema Desktop Preview"

My View/External Video setting is All Frames.

Yet all I get when External View is on, is a frozen frame in both Canvas and the Preview.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Playback...
on Nov 8, 2009 at 11:08:21 am

Post your sequence settings, and the versions of QT, FCP and OS you're running. Which Mac?

Jerry

Return to posts index

Lawrence Gray
on Nov 8, 2009 at 5:06:49 pm

Sequence Settings... I have a number of projects with different settings and all have the same problem.

Here's one set... 720/576 CCIR 601/DV PAL (5;4)

FCP Version 7.01
MAC OS X 10.5.8
2 x 2.8 GHz Quad Cpre Omte; Xeom
8GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB Dimm

Quick Time 7.6.4

Lawrence Gray

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Nov 8, 2009 at 6:41:21 pm

If the source clips are DV PAL originally, then try trashing your preferences for FCP. Then give it another go after setting your desktop as the preview monitor. If they are not DV PAL, you'll likely have to render them first.

Then if this doesn't fix you up, post back... The next step isn't as easy.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

Lawrence Gray
on Nov 9, 2009 at 2:32:07 am

How do I trash the preferences?

I have lots of source material in various different project - Mostly i use EX1 XDCam settings for my HD material.

I don't mix formats on the same time line as FC crashes if I even think about that.

Doesn't matter which project I'm working on, the Desktop Preview no longer functions properly. It used to. Doesn't now.

Lawrence Gray

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Nov 9, 2009 at 3:09:12 am

Preferences are found in User/Library/Preferences/FCP User data folder. There's a red and white icon'd file there... says prefs in it...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Nov 9, 2009 at 3:23:58 am

Also... FCP shouldn't be crashing when you mix formats at all...

When you installed FCS (2009) Did you do it as a totally clean install? i.e., no "upgrade" button was pushed on it, and you didn't have FCS 2 installed already?

If trashing those prefs doesn't work you really should perform a clean install of your OS, and FCP...

If you've also pushed the "upgrade" button on say Leopard to Snow Leopard, or any other major upgrade of the OS such as Tiger to Leopard, it's really time to perform a clean installation... as in erasing your startup disk and starting over... You can use a second hard drive and leave the one you're using now alone as well. A firewire drive even works for a startup disk... Or you can clone your current startup disk to another location and then erase your drive and plain start over. Tell ya, it's really a good thing to do when running Pro Apps like FCP...

Hey, this isn't imovie you're running there... and FCS 2009 is very stable and works very well in Leopard or Snow Leopard if you don't have any I/O cards involved and such... If you do, then it's best to stay in Leopard for the moment I think.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Return to posts index

Lawrence Gray
on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:03:27 am

Yeah! Got it! You have to trash the preferences and then re-install the quicktime desktopvideoout.component! There's a bug in the latest upgrade.

Phew... was beginning to think I was going to have to go through the whole horrible routine of reinstalling everything.

I've done that several times before and I still get the crashes. Everyone I know has much the same problem with mixed codecs. Keep them separate or convert them all to apple pro res seems to be the main work around.

Mind, since upgrading to 7 I find that if have two or more layers of video track on the time line I can crash FC. Maybe that's something to do with the quicktime upgrade as well and hopefully won't happen now.

As for Snow Leopard... I'm staying well clear for the time being. I figure I'll leave that for twelve months. Upgrading to 7 was traumatic enough. Had to have four different sets of upgrade disks sent to me before I could get an install! Kept getting disks that threw up error messages half way through the install. Some of the disks were blank and some labelled incorrectly. Apple were suitably apologetic. I assume they much have had a lot of complaints coming in that month.

Lawrence Gray

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Nov 9, 2009 at 12:35:25 pm

How did you reinstall the desktopvideoout.component?

Jerry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]