FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I add an audio effect to a whole track?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier de Champs
How do I add an audio effect to a whole track?
on Nov 6, 2009 at 4:42:28 pm

How do I add effects to whole tracks? I´m talking about adding a mixer effect to a whole channel. Say for example, when I have an interview, I want to add a compressor and an eq to the interview-audio-track?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How do I add an audio effect to a whole track?
on Nov 6, 2009 at 5:47:11 pm

Apply the effect to the audio clip. If you've cut up the track, copy from the one clip with effects, and paste to all the rest.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Xavier de Champs
on Nov 6, 2009 at 6:36:11 pm

Hmm...I was afraid, that this was the case.

Question 1.
What if I add a compression effects to all 30 clips, and then I want to change the settings a bit. Are they linked, or do I need to go in on every single clip to adjust? Is there any way to link these settings?

Question 2.
What's the fastest way to copy and effect from one clip to another. Can I mark a clip, and press some copy-shortcut to just copy the effect, and then select another clip, and just press a keystroke? Or do I need to in the Filters every time?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 6, 2009 at 6:42:54 pm

Answer 1:
They're all independent of one another. You can't link 'em. But there's an easy workaround: Export the entire track as an aiff, reimport it and apply filters. You don't lose any audio quality, and then you only have to fool with filters once.

Answer 2:
Highlight the clip in question and Copy. Then highlight the non-filtered clips, and use Paste Attributes>Audio>Filters.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 6, 2009 at 9:53:23 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Export the entire track as an aiff, reimport it and apply filters."

Only do this if you never want to change individual shots again or take the audio to a post studio. They will kill you if you make this mistake. You would be better off nesting the audio but again beware of nesting.

A quicker way to apply a filter is to open it in the viewer, set parameters, select all audio clips you want to apply the filter to, drag and drop from the viewer onto the timeline and it will put the filter on all highlighted clips as the last filter.

Just copying settings from one clip may put unwanted other filters on all the clips (paste attributes puts ALL filters)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]