FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choppy/Stuttering Video Playback on 720/24p timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Meehan
Choppy/Stuttering Video Playback on 720/24p timeline
on Nov 5, 2009 at 3:15:49 pm

Hello All,

I'm currently working on a title sequence for a Doc. I'm shooting and I'm running into a bit of an annoyance. The entire project is in HD and is running super slickly, with the exception of the shots I got for the title sequence. I'm getting stuttery/choppy playback in the Canvas, even after tweaking the RT settings. The issue is that I'm trying to cut the sequence to music, and it's getting increasingly frustrating.

The footage was shot on the JVC GYHM100 at 720/24 (with the exception of some 60fps I shot and will conform to 24 later on), and I believe it runs at 35 mb/s. Even though I messed with the RT in the timeline to try to get the video to play slickly, maybe I'm not at the right settings still? Anyone have any tips on how to get this kind of footage to play back at full rate? I'm running FCS2 on a nearly two year old Macbook Pro, but my estimation is that it doesn't have much to do with the computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sean Meehan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Choppy/Stuttering Video Playback on 720/24p timeline
on Nov 5, 2009 at 4:14:20 pm

Did you capture the footage in ProRes?

And despite your high regard for the capabilities of your machine, it may very well be contributing to your problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sean Meehan
Re: Choppy/Stuttering Video Playback on 720/24p timeline
on Nov 5, 2009 at 7:24:22 pm

Actually no. The GYHM100 records XDCAM format. The clips that I've conformed in Cinema tools for slow motion had to be converted to ProRes, but all of the rest of the footage is XDCAM. I wouldn't say that I hold "high regard" for my machine, probably something more along the lines of "I can't afford to upgrade at the moment so I'm going to pray that it's something I can fix without having to buy anything."

When I export a sample edit it's totally smooth, so it seems to me that it's either a setting in FCP that I don't have accurately set, or it's (sadly) my computer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]