FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help: Sony V1U audio import to FCP - only channel 1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Kurland
Help: Sony V1U audio import to FCP - only channel 1
on Nov 4, 2009 at 9:35:48 pm

I am importing HDV footage that was shot on a Sony Z1U. I am using a Sony V1U to import it, via Firewire, to FCP 5.1.4. (I will be upgrading to Studio 3 in the next few weeks.) I am using the HDV preset, and on Easy Setup I have chosen HDV 1080i60. (The footage was shot in HDV, Cineframe 30).

Here is my issue - despite the fact we shot two channels of audio (lav mic on channel 1, boom mic on channel 2), I am only able to import Channel 1. I see the levels for Channel 2 in the "Log and Capture" window, and both channels are selected in there, but when I import, I only get one channel of audio with each of my clips.

Is there something I am missing?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Adam White
Re: Help: Sony V1U audio import to FCP - only channel 1
on Nov 5, 2009 at 1:08:33 am

To be sure, before we start trying to get under the hood of FCP, was the camera set to record audio from both XLR inputs during shooting? I know the Z1 won't always do this by default, and I'm assuming the V1U is similar in this regard.

On the Z1, you need to go into the Audio menu, then go to "XLR Set" and ensure the XLR CH Sel is set to CH1, CH2. It will likely be almost identical on the V1U.

The levels your seeing for both channels inside the capture window could be from just 1 XLR input (you can set the camera to mix 1 XLR input to both channels so you don't have to "double up" the audio in editing).

Return to posts index

Brett Kurland
on Nov 5, 2009 at 3:03:11 am

Thank you for your response. The camera was set to record through the XLR inputs.

Return to posts index

Brett Kurland
on Nov 9, 2009 at 10:00:06 pm

I just confirmed with my DP that the video was indeed shot with separate inputs to each XLR. However, I am still only seeing one channel on firewire import, despite seeing two separate levels in FCP's log and capture window. Any assistance to solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Gabriella Kessler
on Jan 16, 2010 at 12:13:39 pm

Hi Brett,
I'm wondering, did you ever solve this problem? I'm using the V1U myself with the exact same setup as you, and have run into this problem. I'd love to hear how you ended up solving it!
Many thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]