FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Studio 3 Upgrade Installation

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Targia
Final Cut Studio 3 Upgrade Installation
on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:00:07 pm

So, I just got the box for my FCS3 install, I have seen before that you should make a fresh install of FCS instead of just an upgrade, is it 100% necessary? do i need to backup all my files somewhere else or will the new install overwrite them?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Final Cut Studio 3 Upgrade Installation
on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:04:36 pm

You want to make a clean install of both the OS and Studio 3 if you want an absolutely clean and good running system. So yes, in my book, it's absolutely necessary to install Studio the correct way from the start.

I install a new hard drive in my Mac Pro and simply do the complete install to that.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Christopher Targia
on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:11:47 pm

well, im on a company computer, getting a new drive and all that stuff is unnesisary red tape i need to go through, can I keep this OS install and just wipe my FCS and install a new one?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:16:06 pm

[Christopher Targia] "well, im on a company computer, getting a new drive and all that stuff is unnesisary red tape i need to go through, can I keep this OS install and just wipe my FCS and install a new one?
"

Well, if you want a better than 50/50 chance your system will be unstable, go ahead. If you want a more or less guarantee that your system will be stable, you start over.

If you can't get a new drive, just clone the current one and start over.

It's your workflow, whatever you want to do. We start over here with all our systems.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Christopher Targia
on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:22:55 pm

I have one HDD on my Mac Pro, it is a Raid 5 array, I can backup everything on it onto a External and Redo my OS, is that wise?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:31:04 pm

[Christopher Targia] "I have one HDD on my Mac Pro, it is a Raid 5 array, I can backup everything on it onto a External and Redo my OS, is that wise?
"

very wise. There is a free application called Carbon Cloner that you can use to make an exact clone of your HD.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:34:01 pm

[Christopher Targia] "I have one HDD on my Mac Pro, it is a Raid 5 array, I can backup everything on it onto a External and Redo my OS, is that wise?"

The proper way to do what you're trying to do is:

1) Clone your system drivve to an inexpensive firewire drive using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper (both are freeware). This takes between 1 to two hours BTW. This creates a bootable clone that will give you complete security in case things do not go as planned.

2) Do whatever you decide to do in terms of installation to your system drive knowing you have a way of getting back to your previous state.

I agree with Walter, a clean install is always best, but otherwise you should use FCP Remover from DigitalRebellion.com to remove FCS2, then install FCS3 after making the clone mentioned above.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Christopher Targia
on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:39:22 pm

I think this is what I will do, the only problem now is, finding 2 hours were I don't need to use my Mac Pro!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 3, 2009 at 9:11:23 pm

[Christopher Targia] "I think this is what I will do, the only problem now is, finding 2 hours were I don't need to use my Mac Pro!"

That's why I mentioned it above... These things are never fast and are best done when unrushed, as you most certainly want to get it right the first time.

BTW, the reason Walter and I always promote fresh ground-up installs is simple - a ground-up install is the only way to insure that your system is running clean code, just as the Apple software engineers created it. No matter what others say, and no matter how good their luck may be when cutting corners, a less than ground-up installation will always leave lingering lines of code and database information behind that may not seem to hamper your computer operation or the apps onboard, but they almost always do in one way or another.

So, if you enjoy that new car smell every time you get in your new car, you'll certainly enjoy a computer that runs like it did the day you purchased it. You can get feeling by just spending a little more time to do things right, or you can just jump in that old clunker and it may get you where you want to go. But, why upgrade at all unless you're trying to achieve 100% of the system performance you've paid for?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Joel Peregrine
on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:24:20 pm

Hi Chris,

Just personal experience - I don't do clean installs unless problems arise. I updated to Snow Leopard and FCS 3 on two computers and both have been great - no crashes. I do run lean systems already though - no additional capture cards or third party hardware that might be broken by updates.

Return to posts index

Christopher Targia
on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:40:22 pm

Also, I can't seemed to find a serial number with my OSX Disk, do I need one?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 3, 2009 at 9:13:24 pm

[Christopher Targia] "Also, I can't seemed to find a serial number with my OSX Disk, do I need one?"

You will need it if you're doing a ground-up installation. If it's the OS that came installed on your computer Apple will be able to help you if you give them the serial number on label on the back of your computer.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 3, 2009 at 9:39:53 pm

[Christopher Targia] "Also, I can't seemed to find a serial number with my OSX Disk, do I need one?"

The OS doesn't have one to my knowledge. Just looked at my Snow Leopard boxes and there are no serial numbers on there.....

I know I've never entered a serial number for an OS install. FCP yes, OS no.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Nov 4, 2009 at 2:11:43 am

Not sure if I would recommend Snow Leopard right now. No major advantages.

We cloned the drive, renamed all our existing FC Studio apps with their version number and installed FCS3. All is well. Also updated the Kona drivers etc.

I have never, and I mean never, have ever, and I mean ever, did a clean install of the Operating system before installing Final Cut Studio. For goodness sakes Apple writes all this stuff...and they don't recommend it!

How is your system running now? If great, clone your drive and install away. I only rename my apps so I can still open FC 6 on the same computer as 7. Look in the Library folders....Apple does not remove previous versions of program files from the extensions and receipts folders.

So if you have a solid running system I say clone it and install it and get back to work.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Nov 4, 2009 at 5:17:10 am

i just did a from the ground install of Snow Leopard this weekend. I really think that my Octocore really does seem to rum faster. I hope that's true and not just perception. Only problem I had was the LaCie drivers for my ESATA card. System kept having kernal panics until I went to chipset makers website and downloaded month old drivers.....everything runs beautifully.

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 4, 2009 at 2:57:27 pm

Yes Rich, you're absolutely correct, re-installing the OS is very time consuming and in many, if not most cases, is absolutely unnecessary -

However ...

If, on the other hand, you ARE one of those other cases, which are not infrequent, where after installing a totally new version of FCP you're encountering all sorts of bizarre bugs; and after spending many hours trying to troubleshoot these problems, that often arise, as luck would have it, in the middle of an editing session under tight deadlines, with clients in the room, you post a message of help on the COW, you will be told, in no uncertain terms and a note of condescension to do a FRESH INSTALL, which would have been a lot quicker and a lot lest costly to do in the first place.

Yes, it's possible to go through life without fire insurance on your house, and it's a sound financial idea, as long as you know for a fact that your house isn't going to burn down. I say pay the fee, sleep at nite.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Nov 4, 2009 at 8:33:37 pm

What Rich and Joel said...
The only problems I have ever had with upgrade installs are older 3rd party filters and hardware drivers. Knowing that, you just have to go in prepared by making a system clone on another drive before jumping in. Then you are covered either way...

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Nehalem Octocore 12 GB Ram, Nvidia card, MBP, MXO, MXO2 mini, Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 9.0, Lightwave 9.6, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 6, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Nov 6, 2009 at 2:19:38 am

My point is I have never had these issues. And I would not blame a FCP install for major performance issues. It's usually elsewhere. At least for me.

Apple writes the OS and FCS. I'd think it odd that they recommend reinstalling the OS before installing an upgrade of a 2009 piece of PRO software.

I wish the advice given here was a bit more reasonable. Like clone your drive, install the software and test. That's one hour. Doesn't work? Pop in the other drive and movie on. My guess. All will be well and you'll get more done anyway.

I've been working under deadlines with four edit suites for 9 years and have never installed the OS before a software upgrade, Mac or PC. Just bad advice in my opinion.

Oh, changing your oil in the car...better be safe and replace all the rings and injectors....you never know.

That's how it sounds to me.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator

Return to posts index

Karina Louw
on Oct 29, 2012 at 7:43:56 am

Hi,

Is it possible to run FCS 2 and FCS 3 applications on the same mac? If yes, how? Should I install it on different drives? in different user profiles? I'm working on a Mac OS x 10.74( with 2.2 Ghz, intel core i7 processor, 4GB memory).

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Karina

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]