FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro video issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim McNally
Mac Pro video issues
on Nov 3, 2009 at 6:57:28 pm

Recently got a Mac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad Core with 8gb Memory, Nvidia GT 120, 512 Vram. It came with Snow Leopard and I did the upgrade to 10.6.1 when it came available. Running Final Cut 7.0.1

Starting working with footage from EX-3 720p60 (35mbps) and noticed that stuttering on playback was constant. Inside FCP, in QT, in spotlight preview. Thought that this might be a Snow Leopard issue so set up a boot drive with Leopard on it. Stuttering remained. Doing a pan across a table it would jump constantly.

Starting trying it on different drives; internal drive just for media, external FW 400, external FW 800, same stutter, same spots. If it is the same spot instead of random thought maybe it was the card in the camera. Plays back in camera fine.

Next thought maybe its the new machine, took file home to iMac with Snow Leopard and FCP2. Same stutter. Thought it's got to be the recording.

Put it in a Power PC G5 on external RAID and no stutter. This machine is on FCP 6.0.6 and QT 7.6.1 Put it on a 2nd Power PC G5, same specs, no stutter. This drive was just an internal 7200rpm drive used for DV. Played clean in FCP, QT and Spotlight preview.

Took the external RAID that worked on the G5 and connected it to new PowerMac and the footage stuttered. So at this point I'm leaning towards an issue with new machine. Is NVIDIA GT 120 the problem, although I don't think graphics card determines FCP playback?

Permissions, preferences have been trashed, disks verified. Read speed from FW400 36.8Mbps, FW800 74Mbps, RAID 43Mbps, Internal 120Mbps. All higher than 35Mbps of file so think they should be fine?

Can anyone suggest any other options to check?

Thanks

Jim McNally
The Commercial Factory
http://www.commercialfactory.com

Return to posts index

Brian Berdan
Re: Mac Pro video issues
on Nov 3, 2009 at 10:28:16 pm

Just to chime in... I was running 7.0 FCP and all was well using Desktop Preview Full on the DVI out of my MacbookPro... although at one point it started stuttering but restarting everything cleared it up. Then after doing an Apple Software Update ProApps, which updated FCP to 7.0.1, the stuttering returned and has not left no matter what I do. So you're not alone. I just ordered a Matrox MX02 LE so this may not bother me soon, but still...

Brian Berdan
migrant filmworker

Return to posts index

Jim McNally
on Nov 3, 2009 at 10:51:54 pm

Brian what graphics card are you using? My plan was to get the MX02 LE as well. I might have this wrong but I thought it would just help to get the signal out of the computer but not necessarily correct any issues inside the computer?

Does your Quicktime playback stutter as well?

Jim McNally
The Commercial Factory
http://www.commercialfactory.com

Return to posts index

Brian Berdan
on Nov 3, 2009 at 11:00:20 pm

Hey Jim,
Oh that's right- you're stuttering on other programs- my Quicktime playback is fine. It's just a FCP problem for me.
(card is whatever's the stock MBP2.4GHz card- GeForce 8600M GT it says. OS10.5.8)

Brian Berdan
migrant filmworker

Return to posts index

Brian Berdan
on Nov 4, 2009 at 12:37:52 am

In case anyone's just having the problem in FCP 7.0.1 using desktop preview, here's the fix, from list at LAFCPUG:

Re: FCP 7.01 broke my Desktop Preview!
Posted by: Nick Meyers (IP Logged)
Date: October 29, 2009 05:32PM

very cool!

thanks, Shane, it works!

i managed to get to that file on the FCP7 install disc.
here's what to do:

Load up your Final Cut Studio Install disk,
or if you've made a disk image (good idea) access that.

Inside that, notice that the "Instal Final Cut Studio" package is actually an Alias,
so right-click on that and "Show Original"

You'll be taken to a folder called "Installer" inside of which is another folder called "Packages"

Inside the Packages folder locate the VideoOutSupport.pkg,
right-click on it, and "Show Package Contents"

Inside the Contents folder, locate the Archive.paz.gz file.
Drag it to the desktop, and double click on it to un-zip it.

This will create a folder called "Library"
Open it, go to the QuickTime folder inside it,
and there you will find the file "DesktopVideoout.component"

Put this file in Macintosh HD > Library >QuickTime,
replacing the similarly named file there.

Digital Cinema Desktop Preview should now work.

cheers,
nick

Brian Berdan
migrant filmworker

Return to posts index

Chris Carroll
on Nov 4, 2009 at 2:28:29 pm

I tried this solution and it did fix the stuttering but no there is a "tearing" issue. It's less bothersome than the stuttering but it is there.
Anyone else seeing this?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]