FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor bogged down

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Carswell
Compressor bogged down
on Nov 3, 2009 at 1:34:05 am

Hello all,

I am attempting to use Compressor to create files for burning a DVD in DVD Studio Pro. I have created a QUICKTIME reference movie of my Pro Res 1920 x 1080 timeline. Added the file to Compressor, turned frame controls on and set the deinterlace filter to best and rate conversion to best.

Right now, Compressor is telling me it will take 823 hours to complete the job.

Any ideas as to what is slowing things down? Any solutions or help of any kind is appreciated.

Jim

Jim Carswell
Spyhop Productions, Inc.
Savannah, GA
http://www.spyhopproductions.com

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
Re: Compressor bogged down
on Nov 3, 2009 at 1:57:29 am

why de-interlace and rate conversion?

If you're working in 23.98 HD then you can make a 23.98 .m2v file for DVD (this is ideal format for DVD). Or if you're working in 1080i you can make a 29.97 file for DVD.

Turn off Frame Controls and Compressor can spit out a 1080 feature film to DVD resolution lickety split.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Nov 3, 2009 at 1:58:40 am

Just to make sure...you should be using 720x480 set to 16x9 anamorphic. 1920x1080 is just your source, right?

The issue may be the QT ref...why aren't you using File - Send to - Compressor? That is my workflow and it's flawless.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Jim Carswell
on Nov 3, 2009 at 2:15:58 am

I don't know why I changed how I have made DVDs in the past. I had been doing so much reading here on the COW that I think I got myself incredibly confused. I thought I had read some where recently to turn frame controls on. Apparently that's not the case.

I attempted to go straight from my Pro Res 1920 x 1080 timeline to compressor with less than positive results. After more than 24 hours of Compressor working on the timeline I had nothing to show for it.

So, I am now exporting a down converted QUICKTIME reference movie (DV 50 anamorphic) of the one hour timeline and will see how compressor reacts to it.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks for the help.
Jim

Jim Carswell
Spyhop Productions, Inc.
Savannah, GA

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Nov 3, 2009 at 10:06:44 am

[Jim Carswell] "I had read some where recently to turn frame controls on. Apparently that's not the case."

Hi Jim,

You would turn frame controls on and adjust to higher quality settings if you needed better results upscaling, converting timebase etc. For converting for DVD is itsn't really necessary to do that if you're not converting NTSC to PAL.

[Jim Carswell] "I am now exporting a down converted QUICKTIME reference movie (DV 50 anamorphic) of the one hour timeline"

Exporting as DV50 was an unnecessary step really. You can export the HD timeline as a reference file (make sure it's rendered first) and then let Compressor do te job of converting to SD DVD. That's what it's there for.

Good luck,
Alex Elkins

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed

Return to posts index

Jim Carswell
on Nov 3, 2009 at 3:24:55 pm

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on my issues. I appreciate your help.

As I indicated earlier I down converted the HD timeline to DV50 and ran it through Compressor and DVDSP and still wasn't overly pleased. But at least I was able to burn a DVD.

I than went back and exported from the HD timeline directly to Compressor again (for the sixth time). This time it worked successfully as it has in the past. The DVD that came from the HD timeline does look better than the down converted version. So will go with that as I make duplicates.

Again, thanks for the help.

Jim

Jim Carswell
Spyhop Productions, Inc.
Savannah, GA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]