FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 footage exported as 4:3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Medeiros
P2 footage exported as 4:3
on Oct 30, 2009 at 4:45:36 pm

Hello All,

I have P2 footage, DVCPro HD 1080/ 59.94i. I’m editing in FCP 5.1.4. My final outcome is to be in a 4:3 ratio, so when shooting, I composed for 4:3.

My problem is I can’t figure out how to end up with a 4:3 file that keeps its HD resolution, and I don’t want it letterboxed or squeezed.

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Jared

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: P2 footage exported as 4:3
on Oct 30, 2009 at 5:05:59 pm

[Jared Medeiros] "I can’t figure out how to end up with a 4:3 file that keeps its HD resolution, and I don’t want it letterboxed or squeezed. "

HD by nature is not 4:3. There is no such thing as an HD 4:3 format. ALL HD is 16:9. If you want 4:3, you have to go to SD.

Why do you want 4:3? For exporting for some SD format, right?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jared Medeiros
on Oct 30, 2009 at 6:46:13 pm

Thanks Shane, I appreciate the quick response.

I'm submitting to a contest where the submissions are shown and judged on the web. Their requirements say nothing about HD or SD, just that it has to be 4:3, 30 secs, and under 500mbs. They say if it's 16:9 it'll be center cut, which would be fine if it were actually going to be center cut I'd just let them do it but they're actually just squeezing the image and that's how it's being viewed.

I just wasn't sure if there was a way to work around HD being solely in 16:9. Like how 720 X 480 = 4:3, what is the HD equivalent to that ratio (___ X 1080 = 4:3) ? With some basic math I could figure that out but I was wondering if it was even possible to export that way.

I have high-resolution footage that I'd like to be seen by the judges at a higher quality than SD 480i. I just can't figure out how.

Thanks again for your response.

Jared

Return to posts index

Jared Medeiros
on Oct 30, 2009 at 7:34:02 pm

I'm realizing now it's not as simple as the equation above since an HD pixel has a different shape than an SD pixel, but there still has to be a way to get a hi-rez file for the web in a 4:3 format.

hmmm... head scratcher.

Jared

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Shane Ross
on Oct 30, 2009 at 7:38:11 pm

Export your movie as a self contained QT file. Reimport that. Make a new sequence that is DV50, or ProRes SD. Drop the file into that, adjust the center (might need to unsqueeze it too, do that by adjusting the DISTORT settings). Then render...and output again.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jared Medeiros
on Oct 30, 2009 at 7:46:25 pm

Wow, awesome. I can't wait to get home and try that. Thanks again for your help Shane.

Jared

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]