FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 5 - Audio Monitoring External Speakers

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Gregory
FCP 5 - Audio Monitoring External Speakers
on Oct 30, 2009 at 2:57:58 pm

Sorry if this is a simple question, but I can't find the answer in the User manual so I thought I'd try here. I am running FCP 5.0.4 on a G5 10.4.11. It has a Blackmagic Decklink Card that is connected to a Panasonic DVCPro deck. When I play from my timeline in FCP, if I have decklink selected in my audio settings, the audio goes to the deck, but I can't hear it through my speakers. The speakers are attached to the built in audio jack on the back of the G5. Is there a way I can set this up to not have to switch the settings all the time between built in and decklink, or Do I need to hook up a mixer, and feed the blackmagic output into that, and then go to both the deck and speakers? Or is there a better way to set this up?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan

Return to posts index

Grant Strac
Re: FCP 5 - Audio Monitoring External Speakers
on Oct 30, 2009 at 5:29:50 pm

If I understand the question correctly it seems like you do not want to change the View>Audio Playback option menu when editing...if this is true then yes you will have to hook up an external mixer with an out from the mac to the mixer and the out of deck to mixer to speakers. When editing in Final Cut you must tell final cut to either play through built-in or through firewire. The only problem with this is if you are not taking a straight deck feed to your speakers and you are listening using the internal speaker (i.e. view menu>Audio playback>built-in) There is a delay in the video and audio and the audio will look about 2-7 frames off sync....this is my warning!! do not sync the audio to fix this because when you output you actually will have put it out of sync. Always check you audio off of the deck to make sure it is in sync NEVER through built-in.

Grant Strac
Apple Certified End User Motion/Final Cut 6-7/Soundtrack/DVD SP
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 6

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Oct 30, 2009 at 6:13:02 pm

Buy a mixer and connect both the deck & your Declink and the Mac line out to it. That way you can select exactly what you want to hear when you want, and you won't have to leave the deck on when you don't need it.

Behringer mixers are pretty good at the low end, Mackie mixers are excellent in their price range.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Ryan Gregory
on Oct 30, 2009 at 6:36:52 pm

Thanks guys. Mixer it is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]