FORUMS: list search recent posts

LaCie Terabyte Harddrive not Opening---Terminal Rainbow Ball--Help?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Monskey
LaCie Terabyte Harddrive not Opening---Terminal Rainbow Ball--Help?
on Oct 30, 2009 at 12:47:23 am

Hello Experts,
I have a LaCie 1-Terabyte harddrive that was working fine, then it started taking forever to download or transfer data. I open the project on one computer and the movie plays---it plays the movie with video clips from the harddrive, but no accompanying audio. And it shows that all the clips are offline. I switched the harddrive to my laptop where it was working fine before as well, and the harddrive icon pops up as the orange harddrive image with the correct name (it used to open as a photo image of the silver harddrive itself). I double click the orange icon to open it and the terminal ball spins on the desktop. Any ideas on resolving this? It's for TV slated to broadcast Saturday---- bad timing.
Dan

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: LaCie Terabyte Harddrive not Opening---Terminal Rainbow Ball--Help?
on Oct 30, 2009 at 1:41:53 am

Sounds like a drive failure.

The reason you see pics but not sound and all is showing as offline is that you are playing the video render files. I hope you didn't save as this will overwrite your sequence with all media offline. If so then you will need to go to your backups or last autosaves, or reconnect everything if the drive can be salvaged.

There are programs like Disk warrior that many here recommend although I haven't had to use it and will let others more experienced chime in.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 30, 2009 at 1:54:53 am

How full is it?

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Oct 30, 2009 at 4:58:47 am

3/4 full---lots of room left.
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Oct 30, 2009 at 5:02:11 am

Tried Disk Warrior and a message comes up "A disk malfunction occurs while writing the replacement directory to the disk (name of disk).
I have tried transferring one clip at a time to another harddrive---no success. The clips all get about 10% into it and never get any further, then an error message comes up after a while.
So I don't even seem able to save the data at this time.
My career is over.
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Christian Kinnard
on Oct 30, 2009 at 5:36:24 am

Could be a power supply problem. I've had two lacie drives act in a similar way, only to have burnt out the power cords. Do you have another drive that has the same power supply to test it?

Christian

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Oct 30, 2009 at 7:50:48 am

Yeah, I had the same problem before too. THis time a like drive power cord didn't solve the problem.
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 30, 2009 at 9:03:03 am

Those hangs happens because the power source fails. Some time .
Same times the HD surface or even the Head get damaged.
Run DataRescue II or FileSalvage to recover the media and reformat the HD.
If it happens again you'll need to change the Power Source.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 30, 2009 at 12:22:29 pm

Whoa, Rafael, you're jumping the gun a Little bit. The information is not lost yet. I have had many Lacies go down, but it wasn't the drive, it was just the case. What I would do, is tear out the hard drive from the Lacie case and buy a cheap enclosure to put the drive in. See if it works then. We might be able to save your career, yet.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 30, 2009 at 2:15:40 pm

Hi jeremy,
Daniel wrote:
"I have tried transferring one clip at a time to another harddrive---no success. The clips all get about 10% into it and never get any further, then an error message comes up after a while'.
Normally at this step the ball spin and you end up forcing the computer to close down.
When you restart, the HD doesn't mounts.
I've learnt to recover the information as soon as the HD do any funny thing.
I find out that the best tool to resuscitates a death Mac HD, quite often is a PC.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 30, 2009 at 2:51:12 pm

[Rafael Amador] "When you restart, the HD doesn't mounts. "

Right, and this might not have to do with the acutal HD. It has to do with a fried and close to fried enclosure. As I said, I have seen many LaCie drives go down, but it's only the enclosure and not the hardrive itself. If you take out the drive and stick it in to another working enclosure, the data is all good and the drive works just fine.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 30, 2009 at 3:09:25 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Right, and this might not have to do with the acutal HD. It has to do with a fried and close to fried enclosure. As I said, I have seen many LaCie drives go down, but it's only the enclosure and not the hardrive itself"
I completely agree with you.
We are saying the same.
Normally Is the enclosure the reason of the problem.
As soon as you have any glitch, change it.
If not you may end up damaging the very HD.
I recommends recovering the files while the disk is mounted, because for me a replacement enclosure can take few days.
rafael
PS: With the lack of service around and the use of few solid state memory formats (SxS, SDHC, Compact Flash..) I'm becoming an expert in data recovery.
Tapeless workflow is great but have some caveats.
Downloading and trying to organize your footage in the field when you are dead tired, is risky

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 30, 2009 at 3:38:38 pm

[Rafael Amador] "We are saying the same. "

But you don't need data recovery softwre for this. That's all I am saying.

Get an enclosure, stick the hard drive in, and if it's a SATA drive, you can simply stick it in a MacPro if you have one and you're up and running.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Oct 30, 2009 at 4:35:13 pm

Thanks guys for all your input. I bought a new harddrive and thought I would switch cases as has happened before---but I asked a service tech to look it over first. He got nothing from it. We both thought it seemed like a HD failure. So, I went to a data recovery company and left it with them to evaluate. Too little sleep and too many future project clips to lose. The noises from the drive started to concern me too---and parts rattling around inside. I think one of the project workers dropped it while they were using it (as the dropped it while I was helping with the project resurrection last night too).
I'll pst a final message to keep the community up on diagnosis for future reference.
Thanks again for all your help and support. Cow is a great community!!
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]