FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression time for H.264

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marten Benatar
Compression time for H.264
on Oct 29, 2009 at 10:29:11 pm

I am using the (http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/you_tube_redux_gary.html) for a 5 minute video piece with a G5 2.5ghz Quad 4g f memory and the it takes up to 6 hours to encode. Can some one enlighten me as to what I may b doing wrong.

Thanks

Marten Benatar
Rio Media Services

Return to posts index

Adam White
Re: Compression time for H.264
on Oct 29, 2009 at 11:45:42 pm

What settings are you using for this? i.e. frame controls, video dimensions e.t.c.

Take a look at this list of optimal dimensions for compressed video;
http://www.flashsupport.com/books/fvst/files/tools/video_sizes.html

That page references Flash, but I've always used it as a reference for H264 and these sizes always give a great image and reduce transcoding times. The trick is to use width/height dimensions that are divisible by 8 or 16 - for some reason video encoding software will always work better with these dimensions.

If your dimensions are correct, maybe there is another setting that's causing the lag? Finally - where are your export files being sent to (i.e. FireWire HD/RAID/Internal HD)?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 30, 2009 at 1:58:18 am

It also depends on the codec and sequence settings and the H264 options. Yes the old machines are slow on H264 but without any info on codecs and settings I can't advise if there may be something wrong.

Return to posts index

Marten Benatar
on Oct 30, 2009 at 3:49:59 am

I am using the exact same settings for the h264 as in Ken Stones redux. As for the sequence settings tell me what information I can give you and I will make it so.

Thanks

Marten Benatar
Rio Media Services

Return to posts index

sven giebel
on Oct 30, 2009 at 12:01:45 pm

Hi Marten,
10 minutes ago I made a compression test with H.264 on my workstation (MP 3Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon). It took Compressor 3:50min to crunch a anamorphic 720X576 DVCPro50 sequence with four audiotracks with a length of 2:47 into a H.264 of the same pixel dimension. The result looks great btw in 75% and 100% setting. Both percentage settings took the same time. I hope this info is helpful in some way.
all the best,
sven

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 30, 2009 at 12:07:25 pm

I've actually got a demo unit of that Compress HD from Matrox sitting here and plan to install it tonight for testing. A 92 minute feature doc takes approx. 3 hours to compress to 640x360 using a one pass at about medium quality and 22khz audio. Good for the client to review on the web. I'm curious to see that the Compress HD is able to do in terms of cutting way back on the render time

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Oct 30, 2009 at 1:06:03 pm

I'm using Matrox MXO2 with max...which they brag as *faster than real-time* h264 encoding. I know it does depend on your sequence codec...but I've had AWESEOME experience with it. I make short 2-3 minute videos and it encodes in under a minute...using HDV content in my sequence...it's really nice. I believe the Compress HD card uses similar technology?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 30, 2009 at 2:51:13 pm

Hi Marten,
Are importing to Compressor your movie, or you sending your time-line to Compressor?
When making H264, you must to be aware that "Multi-pass" it doesn't means "Two Passes", but three.
If you send fro FC, that means rendering your sequence three times.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Marten Benatar
on Oct 30, 2009 at 5:17:08 pm

Thank you everyone for the great information.

Rafael that was a good reply. I tried that and it cut the render time in half.

Thank you!

Marten Benatar
Rio Media Services

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]