FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: ATSC to put kabosh on loud commercials

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Neitz
OT: ATSC to put kabosh on loud commercials
on Oct 29, 2009 at 10:19:11 pm

Looks like ATSC is finally going to tackle the growing problem of insanely loud commercials:

http://sportsvideo.org/main/blog/2009/10/28/atsc-ready-to-solve-loudness-wo...

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
Re: OT: ATSC to put kabosh on loud commercials
on Oct 29, 2009 at 10:25:21 pm

The problem I notice is when the local stations switch from Network Dolby Digital encoded programming/spots to local insertion, that's where it just cranks. I have to grab the remote at all the breaks. Not sure how to fix that.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 29, 2009 at 10:32:49 pm

Most of the offenders are when it switches from a 5.1 surround sound show to a local, 2 channel only spot which is pushed out almost exclusively through the Center speaker. That's what we notice here.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 30, 2009 at 1:52:30 am

Huh. Wonder what that will bring and where the clamp will take place.

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
on Oct 30, 2009 at 2:10:01 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Huh. Wonder what that will bring and where the clamp will take place.
"

It notes that NBC, for instance, has software that looks at the audio level of an incoming commercial and adjusts the gain before it goes into their distribution network. Seems like the most foolproof way: have every submitted tape analyzed to fit the station's desired dB output.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 30, 2009 at 12:16:06 pm

I hear that, Aaron. I'm just wondering if it's something that will be controlled by the broadcaster or if it's going to fall on our shoulders. We deliver a lot of spots to DG Fastchannel and we don't usually send tape! I agree, I think this will be a broadcaster responsibility.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 30, 2009 at 12:23:05 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I agree, I think this will be a broadcaster responsibility."

Almost has to be. We deliver all our shows to their specs. So obviously if all the programming is playing at the same volumes, the content providers are doing their job. If the commercials are playing much louder than the programming, then the network is not doing its job during national spots and the local cable headend is not doing its job during the local spots.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 30, 2009 at 12:59:02 pm

Unless there's some new deliverable requirement. It will cost all of 20k a year to license the technology. ;-)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 30, 2009 at 2:59:22 pm

[walter biscardi] "Almost has to be...."

More than that, it IS. Every broadcaster is responsible for the content that goes out over his or her airwaves -- there's no passing the buck. It's precisely the same situation as it would be running a spot with oversaturated colors.

To take a lot of the heat off local broadcasters, networks and syndicators establish technical standards for delivery.... and broadcasters can take a REactive stance by monitoring what goes out from these people, and taking steps to fix what's wrong later.

If it's all-local, then the broadcaster has to take a PROactive stance to make sure it's right before it airs.

And if the product's produced in-station and STILL wrong -- and airs that way -- the broadcaster should be barbecued.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 30, 2009 at 2:04:41 am

Actually part of the problem is the insanely low dialog levels on cinema mixes in 5.1. Compared to tech specs for broadcast these levels may be 15-20 db lower than typical stereo programming.

They do this to allow for a wide dynamic range and tons of head room for big explosions. Apparent loudness is a very tricky thing to technically quantify, so it will not be easy to police.

Devices like the Dolby analysers also are fraught as they try to equate volume over time. A show with short sharp loud bits and then quiet will register as less loud that a show with a lot of regular but not excessive levels.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Oct 30, 2009 at 4:37:23 am

[Aaron Neitz] "Looks like ATSC is finally going to tackle the growing problem of insanely loud commercials:"

Then how on earth do they ever expect us to hear them from the kitchen or bathroom?

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Oct 30, 2009 at 3:20:07 pm

It's this, it's real, and it's spectacular...

Seriously, I had a demo of this at AES and if the broadcasters get on board with systems like this, delivery specs for people like us will be much less... stringent. (Discovery people know what I'm talking about...)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]