FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just Feedback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart demar
Just Feedback
on Oct 29, 2009 at 9:28:29 pm

Hi,
I was just visiting a post house were I might share my client base, so I had a meeting with one of there editors. The topic was how to sync audio board tracks with a video shoot of a band. The editor that I was speaking with said that the only way to accomplish this is to increase the speed of the video. I don't agree I would just prefer to change the file format of the audio to bring it into sync. This is somewhat of a red flag to me. Just looking for feedback. Any thoughts?

SjDemar

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Just Feedback
on Oct 29, 2009 at 9:45:59 pm

That's not a whole heck of a lot to go on. And if you record things properly, why wouldn't both audio and video run at the SAME SPEED?

.... unless, of course, somebody's not making adequate plans in advance.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 29, 2009 at 9:51:52 pm

I'm with David...why wasn't audio and video running at the same speed? Adjusting the picture speed might cause odd stobing issues as you go to 104% or 98% and have some errant frame repeating. Audio, on the other hand, can be adjusted and pitch-shifted to match. IF you have the software that can do that. FCP ain't it.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 30, 2009 at 2:10:47 am

There is absolutely no reason why you would need to change audio file formats unless they were incompatible with FCP. This doesn't have any bearing on speed unless you are doing a sample rate conversion as well as a file format conversion to create a varispeed.

And a crystal sync record of audio should match a multicam shoot unless there are incorrect frame rate settings on the camera. If they were talking about 24 versus 23.976 mistakes, then yes, fix the video so that they are all on the same rate.

Return to posts index

Stuart demar
on Oct 30, 2009 at 2:51:34 pm

Good Morning

Sorry If I wasn't clear on the question, There was a 4 camera shoot, audio was recorded through the camera. The board tracks were recorded in studio. Video and audio were captured in FCP. Camera sound was pulled and replaced with the board tracks which recorded in studio at an earlier date. The board tracks did not sync with the audio (sample rates were different). The editor increased the speed of the video to compensate. It may work for the vocals, but does it change the beat of the instrumentals and thus cause it to be out of sync.

SjDemar

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 30, 2009 at 3:52:45 pm

Whoa, whoa! Never mind any of the other things you've been worried about, there's a fundamental workflow issue going on here.

You mean you shot a band in performance, and you actually expected a LIVE STAGE PERFORMANCE to sync up with a STUDIO RECORDING?

And if this four camera shoot was done in a studio -- where you can control the sound and get to do multiple takes -- why didn't you use the studio recording for playback?

Sounds like somebody wasn't thinkin' straight, if you ask me.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stuart demar
on Oct 30, 2009 at 10:28:10 pm

thank you all for confirming what I was thinking and my red flags were correct.

GO Cow!

SjDemar

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 30, 2009 at 10:12:06 pm

[Stuart demar] "The board tracks did not sync with the audio (sample rates were different)."

Sorry but this is totally erroneous opinion and just wrong. Sample rate does not effect speed of playback. Converting a 44.1 track to 48 khz for editing in FCP will not change the speed.

The lack of sync was due to not using playback of the studio track for the stage performers to mime to.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]