Change of Drives ...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart McAlister
Change of Drives ...
on Oct 29, 2009 at 9:56:30 am

Hi All,

Here's one which is causing loss of editing time and my finger nails:

For some time (until it filled up). I've been using a T1 Western Digital HHD as my scratch disk. All went well and I was happy with it's speed etc. Last week, I replaced it with a LaCie 'd2 quadra' (my preferred WD with Firewire connectors seems to have been replaced with USB2).

The new LaCie was plugged into my iMac, and went through it's merry install process, finishing with "your LaCie disk is ready to use".

With all the relevant footage loaded onto the LaCie I started editing. However, each and every edit point, the 'drop frame' warning is displayed on FCP and the editing process briefly comes to a halt. This was not the case when I was using the Western Digital HDD.

So, here are a few things you need to know:

- LaCie free space: 920GB
- iMac free space: 430GB
- LaCie Formatted: Mac OS Extended
- I have read/write permission
- The LaCie is going straight into the iMac without passing through any Firewire junction box
- No settings were changed in FCP, just reset of the scratch disk

Please, if anyone has any idea how this 'drop frame' business happens on one disk yet not another, please let me know.

The only other solution is to dump the contents of the now full WD HDD onto the LaCie and start using the WD again ... which kind of defeats the object to the exercise.

Stu

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Change of Drives ...
on Oct 29, 2009 at 3:30:59 pm

[Stuart McAlister] " I replaced it with a LaCie 'd2 quadra' (my preferred WD with Firewire connectors seems to have been replaced with USB2).
"

USB cannot provide the sustained throughput necessary for video editing, period, end of story. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, proceed immediately to return your new drive for one that uses firewire, and preferably firewire 800.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Stuart McAlister
Re: Change of Drives ...
on Oct 29, 2009 at 6:25:23 pm

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your reply.

1 - Firstly, I am NOT editing using USB.
2 - I bought the LaCie because my preferred Western Digital series has now been replaced with USB only models.
3 - I will ONLY edit using Firewire 800, which is what I am doing.
4 - Please reimburse my $200.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]