FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2, FCP7 and Snow Leopard

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Tompkins
P2, FCP7 and Snow Leopard
on Oct 28, 2009 at 2:11:08 pm

I think I am having a small, tiny even, heart attack. I am demo'ing an HPX170p using FCP7 and Snow Leopard 10.6.1. on a brand new MacBook Pro. After having multiple frustrating results, and then beginning my troubleshooting, I think I am reading that this is impossible. Is this impossible? And how can it be? And when won't it be?

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: P2, FCP7 and Snow Leopard
on Oct 28, 2009 at 2:20:50 pm

I'm quite sure that it's possible, and I"m quite sure that it works much the same way it did when the HPX-200 came out under FCP 5.x over 3 years ago.

Have you ever used P2 or FCP before? (not trying to be snide, but there's no indication from you that you have or haven't.

There are tutorials here on the COW and in other places about how to load P2 into FCP. If you run those, and you lean as much as you can about the camera & FCP as well, you should be fine.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Oct 28, 2009 at 2:47:07 pm

My question was pretty vague, so I don't consider you being snide. I am an experienced FCP user but coming back into after a couple of years. I have never used P2 until this week (I did mention that this was a demo) but would love to. I am trying to download from the 170 directly from the camera, through USB2 into the MacBook Pro. The camera (therefore the P2 card) is not recognized using multiple cables. I have tried to download drivers from the Panasonic site but they will not work. My reading indicates that Panasonic is not supporting P2 with with Mac OS 10.6 (or vice-versa). I ran many of the tutorials (thanks, Shane) but I can't find one that tells me what to do when the camera is not recognized. Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Oct 28, 2009 at 3:02:38 pm

huh? You can use P2 media to edit in FCP. I've done it multiple times.

I've always had a hard drive shipped to me though. In it contained folders labeled "Card 1" Card 2" etc. Inside each of those folders was a folder labeled "Contents." And then inside of that was the metadata from the P2 card. From there I would just use Log and Transfer and locate the Contents folder and then capture.

I would assume you have to somehow connect the camera to the laptop to get it to mount like a hard drive. Then drag the contents of the P2 card to your hard drive or go to Log and Transfer and locate the P2 card while your camera is mounted.

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Oct 28, 2009 at 3:22:14 pm

Using 170 as well, but on FCP 5.1.4 and on FCP 5.0.4 on two different machine (G5 and MBP)...
Anyway, I don't think your problem is there - you mentioned USB - you should use FIREWIRE port.

Of course, I believe you are in proper MODE (select 1394 MODE through OTHER FUNCTIONS menu.

Finally, by pressing the MODE button bring the camera into 1394 HOST mode,
check the manual for details.

Mio

http://www.digitalvideovault.com.au

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 28, 2009 at 3:59:19 pm

The issue, I believe, is SNOW LEOPARD. I have seen a few posts where people complain that machines with Snow Leopard installed cannot see the P2 cards. That is the WHOLE point of the original question, he cannot even have the machine see the P2 cards. We haven't even gotten to FCP yet. The cards will not mount.

So you went to http://www.panasonic.com/p2 and downloaded the latest driver for the P2 card, and they still won't mount? And you put the camera into HOST mode by going into the camera menus, 9. OTHER FUNCTIONS, and switched HOST MODE from 1394 Host (that is firewire BTW, you should also try that), to USB Host? Then Press the MCR button to get the camera into thumbnail mode, then press and HOLD the MCR button for 3 seconds, until the viewfinder says 1394 HOST, or USB HOST. That means that the camera is now acting as a P2 card reader. The card should then show up on the desktop.

If not, then it is a Snow Leopard issue...I think. Hearing a lot of rumbling about that.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 28, 2009 at 4:00:25 pm

At this time, P2 support form Panasonic is touch and go with SNow Leopard, especially with firewire. You should be able to hook up the camera through USB, though, and it should work. You will need to download and install the P2 drivers and install the P2 PC card package from those drivers (http://www.panasonic.com/p2hd). Panasonic is supposedly working on Snow Leopard compaitbility. Once you get the footage off of the P2 cards, FCP will gladly support the P2 MXF folder structure.

You should also read the manual about USB host mode and how to get there.

Here's the notice:

- IMPORTANT NOTICE -
P2 driver compatibility information with Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
1.P2 driver software for Mac OS 10.4 & 10.5 are NOT compatible
with the recent Mac OS X version 10.6 (Snow Leopard).
For the following drivers/software, upgrade are being planned
for the Mac OS 10.6.
- IEEE1394b driver for AJ-PCD20 series
- PCI express(PCIe) driver for AJ-PCD35 series
- P2 Card formatter for Mac
- P2 Contents management software (P2CMS) for Mac

2.Notice to users working with Duel Systems’ DuelAdapter
 - P2 cards will not be recognized with the adaptor in Mac OS 10.6
due to no software driver exists.
- Please use Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) instead.
- For MacBookPro users, please use USB 2.0 port which is standardly
equipped with P2 equipment for data transfer between Mac.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Oct 28, 2009 at 5:50:04 pm

First, I would like to thank Shane and Jeremy for not assuming I am an idiot. Using your sage wisdom and advice I WAS able to download the correct drivers again (they work!) and make my way through the menus to the USB functions. I do not have a Firewire 400 10 pin to Firewire 800 cable (go figure) so I had to use USB 2 but I will get one in the future. So I am happy to say that Snow Leopard and FCP 7 will indeed work with P2.

Thanks Guys!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 28, 2009 at 6:18:00 pm

[Bob Tompkins] "So I am happy to say that Snow Leopard and FCP 7 will indeed work with P2. "

...Over USB.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Douglas Healey
on Oct 28, 2009 at 8:22:01 pm

Did you figure this out cause I am going to take a aspirin to avoid a stroke and heart attack.
about my duel reader and now that I have snow leopard running on my macbook pro I am also stuck.

Doug

Douglas

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 28, 2009 at 8:55:36 pm

Duel doens't work on SL.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]