FORUMS: list search recent posts

how do I know if a clip has been used on the timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
scott dodds
how do I know if a clip has been used on the timeline?
on Oct 27, 2009 at 9:33:30 pm

In all other NLE's I've used once you use a clip on the timeline an indicator shows up on the clip in the browser/project window to let me know that that clip has already been added to the show. I find this essential. As I understand it, FCP does not do this.

There is a find command for used media, but as I understand it one has to go back to the project level to do the search.

What happens is I have all my clips in bins, and I'll have a specific bin open and will be looking at the clips in that bin, deciding which ones to work with. At that point I need to know, in that bin, which clips have and have not been used. Is there a way to use the "find" command to just show which clips have been used in the bin in which I am currently working, without producing a list of clips from the project level?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
Re: how do I know if a clip has been used on the timeline?
on Oct 27, 2009 at 11:38:48 pm

hmm....maybe you can assign a color to the clip in the bin. It should make that clip the same color in the timeline.

-Highlight the clip in the browser

-press Apple + Option + 2 (or 3, 4, 5, etc). Apple + Option + 1 makes the color go away.

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com

Return to posts index

scott dodds
on Oct 27, 2009 at 11:48:02 pm

Yeah, I have in the past also marked the clips as "used" in the browser..... but I don't think I should have to manually perform such an action for every clip, something that is essential and all other editors do as a matter of course. There has to be a better way. Has anyone created a macro for this? Maybe it's just me, but to me having a NLE indicate which clips I've used is pretty basic. When I'm looking at 500 clips in a bin it's really nice to be able to look past the ones that have been used, otherwise I find it really confusing.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Rob Grauert
on Oct 28, 2009 at 12:19:31 am

if you do an Apple + A in the timeline, it will select all the clips. Then just assign a color to them. All your clips that are in your timeline will be colored in your bin then.

I understand it would be nice if FCP automatically marked them, but it isn't that much of a hassle. Takes 5 seconds.

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.

Return to posts index

scott dodds
on Oct 28, 2009 at 1:18:14 am

Oh, I see what you mean! Clever. And I don't use the color coding any other way, so it's good for me. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Izzy Galindo
on Sep 2, 2010 at 9:35:34 pm

How do you assign a color to those clips?

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Sep 2, 2010 at 10:20:18 pm

Izzy,

Select the clip(s) in the timeline or browser.

Command + Option + 1 (or 2, or 3, or 4, etc...)

Rob Grauert, Jr.
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Izzy Galindo
on Sep 3, 2010 at 1:07:58 pm

Thank you sooo much

Return to posts index

Michael Black FCP
on Oct 27, 2009 at 11:50:40 pm

You can tell if something is duplicated in a timeline. In the Settings dialog for your sequence, go to Timeline Options and check the box for "Show Duplicate Frames". Is that what you're talking about, or are you asking about something specifically in the browser window?

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Oct 27, 2009 at 11:57:51 pm

Note that "Show Duplicated Frames" doesn't work properly if you didn't label your reel number in Log and Capture/Transfer. We figured that out during a big production...

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Dec 14, 2010 at 6:35:31 pm

I color code sometimes so this isn't a good solution for me. There must be another way to do this. I sure hope so....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]