FORUMS: list search recent posts

NEW to HD Workflow in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly Barna
NEW to HD Workflow in FCP
on Oct 27, 2009 at 4:43:52 pm

We are finally making the big switch to HD... so now I need a little guidance. I have been reading manuals and posts and tips... it is just starting to become a little overwhelming.

We just purchased a Panasonic AG-HMC150P. I have already successfully imported the AVCHD footage into FCP and transcoded it into Apple ProRes 422. However when I drop it into 1920 x 1080 timeline, my playback has squiggly lines. We are recording in PH 1080/60i. If I drop it into a 720 x 480 timeline, the playback is fine. I am viewing this through a Sony HVR-M15U deck onto a Sony HD monitor with component cables. (Could the cables be the issue?)

Ultimately I will need to have my projects dumped to HDCAM or DVCPro HD for broadcast. I am sure we will not be doing this in house due to the lack of proper equipment. So I am guessing I will need to send the timeline out on a hard drive? Can anyone offer me any suggestions as to the workflow of all this, timeline settings, how I will need to prepare my final project etc...

Sorry for the broadness of this email but I am just trying to get a good understanding of HD before I get in to deep.

Thanks... any help is appreciated!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: NEW to HD Workflow in FCP
on Oct 27, 2009 at 5:03:26 pm

[Kelly Barna] " I am viewing this through a Sony HVR-M15U deck onto a Sony HD monitor with component cables."

THrough what, firewire?

You need an video io card such as the AJA kona LHi.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kelly Barna
on Oct 27, 2009 at 5:39:48 pm

Yea I am using firewire. I didn't know I needed a special card. Is that just for playback on an external monitor?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 27, 2009 at 6:26:04 pm

You are trying to play one format of video (ProRes 422) out through another format of HD video device (HDV). You can't do this and get ANY sort of good quality. i am shocked it works, really. I do know that HDV streamed through a deck in RT downconverts to DV...as HDV cannot be streamed out via firewire to a deck or camera. Too complex a format. It goes out as DV. So how you got ProRes to do this...is a puzzle.

But yeah, if you want to view your HD as HD, then you need and HD capture card or IO box, and an HD monitor. Or the HD card can downconvert to an SD signal for that monitor, but then you aren't seeing things in full HD glory...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 27, 2009 at 6:27:08 pm

Plus you will need the HD card (AJA, Matrox) in order to output to tape anyway, so might as well get one. I recommend the AJA Kona LHi or the Matrox MXO2.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]