FORUMS: list search recent posts

Questions about FCP 7 upgrade

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Targia
Questions about FCP 7 upgrade
on Oct 26, 2009 at 8:47:20 pm

Do I need Snow Leopord for the new FCS, and/or is the upgrade recommended? worth it? error prone?

Also Live Type is not in the new upgrade, will my current version of LiveType remain on my computer? and will it work with FCS7?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
walter biscardi
Re: Questions about FCP 7 upgrade
on Oct 26, 2009 at 8:56:33 pm

[Christopher Targia] "Do I need Snow Leopord for the new FCS, and/or is the upgrade recommended? worth it? error prone?"

No, no needed. Most folks are still running Leopard. We are.

[Christopher Targia] "Also Live Type is not in the new upgrade, will my current version of LiveType remain on my computer? and will it work with FCS7?"

Not sure, I think it gets wiped away but you can re-install it or something from FCP 6. Do a search for LiveType in this forum and you'll find some answers there.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Christopher Targia
on Oct 26, 2009 at 8:57:34 pm

Thanks Walt

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Tom Wolsky
on Oct 26, 2009 at 9:25:43 pm

As to LiveType, yes, it will remain on your machine, and yes, it will definitely work with FCP7, and there is still and Export to LiveType function.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Neil Sadwelkar
on Oct 27, 2009 at 11:42:04 am

On a running FCS2-FCP6 system if you upgrade to FCS3-FCP7, Livetype stays and is not deleted. If however, you choose to install Snow Leopard first and do an 'erase and install', then of course you lose Livetype.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 27, 2009 at 12:22:02 pm

[Neil Sadwelkar] "If however, you choose to install Snow Leopard first and do an 'erase and install', then of course you lose Livetype. "

But can you put the Studio 2 discs back in and re-install LiveType? I would think you could select that by itself and do an install. I have never tried it, just wondering if you can.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Oct 27, 2009 at 1:14:46 pm

You can. I did.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Oct 27, 2009 at 3:32:25 am

[Christopher Targia] "Also Live Type is not in the new upgrade, will my current version of LiveType remain on my computer?"

There is really no need for live type it have been fully integrated with Motion and that allows you to do a LOT more.

Keep in mind that it is best NOT to install FCS3 as an upgrade. it is best to erase the system drive, install a clean OS and then Install FCS clean. Or at lest fully remove FCS using FCP remover and then install the new FCS. (A full erase of the drive or a removal of the old FCS will result in live type not being there at all when you install the new FCS)

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Oct 27, 2009 at 3:40:20 am

There is actually a substantial amount of LiveType content, fonts, textures, objects, and behaviors, that have been lost and are not integrated into Motion. And of course if you legacy projects that used LT you will probably need to keep the application to access and modify those projects.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Oct 27, 2009 at 3:43:05 am

[Tom Wolsky] "There is actually a substantial amount of LiveType content, fonts, textures, objects, and behaviors, that have been lost and are not integrated into Motion. And of course if you legacy projects that used LT you will probably need to keep the application to access and modify those projects. "

I have not noticed any missing content, as far as I can tell motion has it all.

As for opining a livetype project, you should be able to open those in motion.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Oct 27, 2009 at 9:44:29 am

You can open LT projects in Motion of course but only if you have the content. I'm missing some fonts, but perhaps they were third party LiveFonts. There are no textures in Motion that I can see, and some objects are missing, though they're probably similar ones in Motion. Same with text animations. There are similar ones in Motion, but not the same, and some I can't find at all, maybe they're there with different names.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Christopher Targia
on Oct 27, 2009 at 1:11:57 pm

But if you have an upgrade version of FCS, don't you still need to re-install the first versions first even if you have a clean install?

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Oct 27, 2009 at 1:15:13 pm

You do not. You simply need the serial number.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

joanne Ardinger
on Jan 4, 2010 at 10:43:40 pm

Hello Tom,
I have FCP6 on my old G5 but can not find my disks. I have ordered FCP7 upgrade for my MacPro, but was told by Apple (via online chat) that I must have the disks in addition to my Serial Number.

I am encouraged to read your post. Can you think of any reason that the representative told me this?

Thank you!

Jo

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 27, 2009 at 1:30:36 pm

[Christopher Targia] "But if you have an upgrade version of FCS, don't you still need to re-install the first versions first even if you have a clean install?"

Nope, it will just ask you for the serial number from the original software.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

tobias greenman
on Dec 3, 2009 at 5:42:35 am

Walt and Co

Is there anything in the Apple world that stops me buying my Vers7 upgrade while I am visiting the US, so that I can upgrade a Vers6 package I use in Australia.

I cannot buy it through amazon online (shipping addresses are restricted)
My only option is Apple Australia or resellers locally. The price difference is ...substantial.

Are the Serial numbers locked in some way to regions?
Or do they just make it difficult but not impossible?

Tobias

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Dec 3, 2009 at 6:41:46 am

I don't think there's any distinction between Pro Apps sold in different English-speaking countries. It might be different in the Eu and other regions where people use local languages even in the FCP interface.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]