FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relinking Clips with NEW CLIP NAMES

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Taylor
Relinking Clips with NEW CLIP NAMES
on Oct 26, 2009 at 5:31:41 pm

Hello All,

Is there a way that one can re-link a clip to their time-line AFTER or IF they have changed the name of the clip? In our current project there are a number of clips and media that have to have their names changed-- the clips are the same, just new names. However, that media is now shown to be offline.

I would think that since that media itself is the same, just the name has been changed, that it would be fairly easy to relink or re-connect to the clips in the time-line.

Thank You

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Relinking Clips with NEW CLIP NAMES
on Oct 26, 2009 at 5:38:40 pm

If you changed the names of the CLIPS...then FCP will still know the original name of the media file and be able to reconnect fine. BUT, if you changed the name of the media file, on the Finder level, then you are up a creek. FCP will not be able to find that...you will have to actually know what clip goes to what media file, and then turn off the EXACT NAME option in the Reconnect window.

if you must rename media files and clips, please please PLEASE use the RENAME option in FCP. Rename the clip, then highlight that clip and go MODIFY>RENAME>MEDIA FILE TO MATCH CLIP. Never ever rename the files on the Finder level. That's a hanging offense.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joe Taylor
Re: Relinking Clips with NEW CLIP NAMES
on Oct 26, 2009 at 6:06:21 pm

Thanks Shane,

I have only changed the name of one media clip, as a test, before jumping in and renaming everything, so no damage has been done. I just haven't had any luck finding the info needed before going any further.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]