FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVC-Intra Workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Baron
AVC-Intra Workflow
on Oct 26, 2009 at 5:29:46 pm

Have a job coming w/ AVC- Intra files. Can I use my MacBookPro 2.4 Intel Core2 Duo, 4GB, FCP7, Mac 10.6.1 to properly edit/display Native AVC? Also, question arises whether to edit Native or Transcoded AVC as CG artist will need the same files to create animated character to composite and color correction to be done separately as well. Any suggestions as to best workflow.
Thanks,
Eric

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AVC-Intra Workflow
on Oct 26, 2009 at 5:35:40 pm

[Eric Baron] "Can I use my MacBookPro 2.4 Intel Core2 Duo, 4GB, FCP7, Mac 10.6.1 to properly edit/display Native AVC?"

Yes, but since there are no sequence settings for AVCIntra, there is no point. You'd have to use a ProRes timeline and render your clips when done. Best to get it out of the way and import as ProRes from the start. To a FW800 drive or eSATA. Both work fine.

[Eric Baron] "Also, question arises whether to edit Native or Transcoded AVC as CG artist will need the same files to create animated character to composite and color correction to be done separately as well"

Well then, transcoding is no brainer then. BUT...the CG artist, are they on a PC or a Mac? PCs with the latest QT or PRoRes decoder can SEE ProRes footage, but not ENCODE it. Only machines with FCP installed can encode ProRes.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eric Baron
on Oct 26, 2009 at 5:50:34 pm

If CG's platform is PC, would you recommend having locked offline sent to CG as uncompressed 10 bit file or work separately on dupe files and then composite? Thanks in advance for your sagely advice!
Eric

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 26, 2009 at 6:15:45 pm

What CG system are they working on? can that system see native AVC-I MXF files? If so, I'd recommend working native MXF with MXF4mac's MXF Import. This will allow you to use the MXF files, and if the CG system can see AVC-I MXF files, then you won't have to worry about transcoding QT files back and forth.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Eric Baron
on Oct 26, 2009 at 6:30:56 pm

I'm waiting to hear what their system is, but that might be a great workflow idea. Haven't edited w/MXF files, but shouldn't be difficult, right? Thanks Jeremy!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 26, 2009 at 6:32:42 pm

Not difficult at all. QUITE the opposite. With things like MXF4Mac and P2 Flow, editing MXF natively is far easier than transcoding and wotnot. So fast, metadata remains intact...

I'll let Jeremy gush some too.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eric Baron
on Oct 26, 2009 at 6:39:43 pm

I like what I'm hearing.... sounds like a plan! I'll suggest it as our workflow. Many thanks guys!!!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 26, 2009 at 6:44:24 pm

[Eric Baron] "sounds like a plan! I'll suggest it as our workflow. Many thanks guys!!!"

Just make sure your CG team can see the files natively.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 26, 2009 at 6:38:30 pm

I don't have ny P2 Flow tutorials available yet, but it's coming. Here's a tutorial I created a while ago before AVC-I was interduced to the suite. Now that AVC-I decoding is native, you can do this same exact process with AVC-I footage. Check it out here:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/garchow_jeremy/dvc_pro_hd.php

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Eric Baron
on Oct 26, 2009 at 6:59:24 pm

Thanks for the tutorial, clear and concise. Looking forward to P2Flow.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 26, 2009 at 7:07:07 pm

If you do decide that MXF is they way you are going to go, MXF4mac offers P2 Flow and MXF Import as a bundle. I highly recommended to buy it that way. Just know that every system that is going to be touching the footage with the MXF4mac native files on a mac must have an MXF4mac license on it.

We use it and love both the MXF4mac QT compoenent and P2 Flow.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]